Coleslaw isn’t just for picnics. This tasty Apple Raisin Coleslaw recipe is the perfect (and easy) side dish to serve any time of year.
You guys! I am so excited to share this Apple Raisin Coleslaw recipe with you today. Did you ever enjoy a recipe so much at a restaurant that you had to find a way to recreate it at home? Yep. This coleslaw was one of those “I gotta figure out how to make this” recipes. Last week, I had a delicious dinner in Philadelphia with some of the Philly Social Media Moms at the Rope And Anchor located in the Hilton Penns Landing. Chef George Gilfesis went out of his way to tempt our taste buds. We were given the opportunity to sample the upcoming Mother’s Day menu. The one dish that caught my attention was Chef’s Carrot Raisin Slaw. It was deee-licious! I even went back for seconds.
As with most tasting events, I really do try to take a bite of everything offered, even if it is something I usually don’t eat. Funny thing is, I don’t really even like coleslaw. I never eat it. Once I tried it though, this dish got me hook, line and sinker! It’s the perfect balance of sweet and salty. Raisins, apples and honey balance out the traditional flavors of the slaw dressing and cabbage. I even added some toasted walnuts for some extra crunch.
This slaw is really easy to make too. Cut down on time by purchasing the shredded coleslaw mix at the grocery store. It’s not only a great recipe for a picnic or party but can easily be enjoyed as a side dish for dinner. The slightly sweet dressing along with the addition of the raisins, apples, and walnuts add a modern twist to classic coleslaw. I am happy that this recipe made me give coleslaw another chance. Enjoy.
Shop this Apple Raisin Coleslaw Recipe.
Apple Raisin Coleslaw
Yield 8 servings
Coleslaw isn't just for picnics. This tasty Apple Raisin Coleslaw recipe is the perfect (and easy) side dish to serve any time of year.
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1 large apple, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Heat a skillet on medium. Add chopped walnuts and toast for 5 minutes. Stir frequently so they do not burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, apple, raisins, and walnuts to a large bowl. Mix to incorporate. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, add the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and stir together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Courses Side Dish