This Post Contains Affiliate Links
Pancakes are a huge hit in my house. While my kids like them plain, hubby and I love them with some added healthy ingredients…. especially blueberries! Since blueberries are in season now here in New Jersey, I whipped a quick batch up for breakfast yesterday. The season will soon be over but blueberries are great to freeze, so you really can enjoy them year round.
If you pick your own, or are able to purchase some fresh picked pints at your local grocery store or farmers’ market, buy extra and freeze some for the winter months! Because they are at the peak of their season, prices are really good right now. It’s a great time to stock up. To freeze, I simply lay them flat on a baking sheet and flash freeze them until frozen. I then transfer them to a freezer bag. With a nice supply in my freezer, I can pull them out for baking, smoothies and pancakes.
I adapted my favorite pancake recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Welcome to Junior’s! Remembering Brooklyn With Recipes and Memories from Its Favorite Restaurant. This farm girl gives this cookbook two thumbs up! There are so many great recipes in it.
This pancake recipe is the bomb. I substituted buttermilk for the milk because I LOVE buttermilk pancakes. I also increased the vanilla to one tablespoon. I usually end up doubling this recipe as well, especially when I am feeding a crowd. Not a fan of blueberries, try adding apples, bananas or peaches. Or, you can make Gabby and AJ’s favorite, chocolate chip. This recipes is so easy and versatile!
I start by mixing all the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, I beat the eggs and buttermilk. I mix in the melted butter and vanilla. Once this is well incorporated, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold in. Then, add the blueberries and continue to fold in but do not over mix! Your batter will be tough and chewy!
On a heated griddle, ladle 1/3 cup of batter (or more if you want them bigger).
Flip when the edges around each pancake begins to dry out and bubble form on the top. I have two words to say. Yummy and delicious!
These pancakes are the perfect answer for a quick breakfast, brunch or dinner. What is your favorite type of pancake to make or eat? I would love to hear from you.
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint Jersey Fresh blueberries
- Preheat griddle on medium. Season with oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and buttermilk until light yellow on high with a handheld mixer. Then beat in butter, 1 tablespoon of oil and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold by hand with spatula to incorporate. Don't over mix or your pancakes will be tough. Stir in blueberries.
- On preheated griddle, pour ½ cup of batter about one inch apart. Let the pancakes cook until the top bubbles and the edges look dry. Flip over and cook the opposite side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with butter and syrup.
- How Does Your Garden Grow?/thefarmgirlgabs.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.