Really, I did.
But, it was just too delicious not to share right away. Sorry, I just couldn’t wait.
I love to make flatbread. Not only can they be served as an appetizer or a main dish BUT you can add any combinations of ingredients you like to them. I have a thing for Caprese ANYTHING! So, why not add it to a flatbread. This Caprese Flatbread with Balsamic Reduction didn’t last long in my house.
I also love to make dishes with simple ingredients. This one is about as simple as it gets — pizza dough, olive oil, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella and an easy balsamic vinegar glaze. Here is how I made it.
Alternately line the fresh mozzarella and sliced tomatoes over the flatbread. Season with salt and pepper. Top with all the delicious fresh basil you just chopped. Pop back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
Drizzle the top with the balsamic reduction. Slice into triangles and serve hot or cold.
- 1 16 oz. frozen pizza dough regular or whole wheat
- 2 large Jersey Fresh Tomatoes
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vinegar is reduced by half. Set aside to cool.
- Roll pizza dough out into a rectangle approximately 13 inches long by 6 inches wide. Dough should be thin.
- Place dough on a lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and crushed garlic. Spread over dough.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- While flatbread is baking, slice tomatoes and fresh mozzarella and set aside.
- Also chop your basil.
- When bread is finished baking, remove from oven and alternately layer tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Top with fresh chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- Place flatbread back in the oven and cook another 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove flatbread from oven and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
- Cut into triangles and serve hot or cold.
Want to take this Caprese Flatbread to the next level? Try grilling the dough (on a low temperature) before adding the tomato and mozzarella. You can finish it on the grill (again, on low so the flatbread does not burn) or in the oven. It is so delicious and crispy. It is the perfect summer recipe for entertaining family and friends too.
Shop This Caprese Flatbread with Balsamic Reduction With My Amazon Affiliate Links:
And……if you have visited Walt Disney World in the past, this recipe is very similar to the Caprese Flatbread served at the Pinocchio Village Haus. It’s located right next to the It’s A Small World ride. You knew I would have to mention Disney somewhere in this post ; )
Do you make flatbread at home? What are some of your favorite flatbread toppings?