I really think every day should be Cinco de Mayo! It is such a fun, festive holiday that involves two of my favorite things – Margaritas and Mexican food! Quesadillas are the perfect celebration food. They are also a Russo family favorite. I like to think of them as a Mexican grilled cheese. Obviously made with tortillas instead of bread, quesadillas are so versatile because you can add so many different ingredients to them, serve them as a main dish/sandwich or make them ahead of time and serve as an appetizer or snack at your next fiesta. Plus, they are really easy to make.
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas combine the traditional quesadilla ingredients with the traditional fajita ingredients. It’s a marriage of sorts. A tasty marriage at that. The combination of onions, peppers and chicken with the traditional fajita flavoring is delicious.
Begin by heating a skillet and adding oil. Add the sliced vegetables and season with salt, pepper and some homemade fajita seasoning.
Remove from the skillet once the onions start to turn translucent. Now you can add the chicken to the skillet and brown over medium high heat. You can also do this in a grill pan. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove and set aside.
Now it’s time to assemble the quesadillas. Turn heat to medium and add some oil to the pan. Add one tortilla to the bottom and add some cheese, chicken, and vegetables. Add some more cheese and then top another tortilla. Cook several minutes until bottom is brown and cheese is melted. Flip the quesadilla so the top side can brown using a spatula.
Cut into wedges and enjoy! I like to serve mine with fresh pico de gallo and sour cream.
However you are planning to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, hopefully it will involve good times, great food and these Chicken Fajita Quesadillas. Oh yeah, don’t forget the margaritas too.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts sliced thin
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning combine equal parts cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion power, garlic powder and chili powder
- 2 limes juiced
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream for garnish
- Salsa for garnish
- Begin by slicing chicken in to thin strips. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice peppers and onions. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- Add peppers, onions and garlic to the pan. Season with one teaspoon of fajita seasoning.
- Sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a dish. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil into the pan. Sauté chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Season with 1 tablespoon of fajita seasoning.
- Add vegetables back into the pan with the chicken. Add the lime juice.
- Heat another 12" skillet on medium heat. Add one teaspoon of oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place one tortilla in skillet. Top with a handful of cheese, some of the fajita mixture and then another handful of cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top and cook until bottom tortilla is browned.
- Flip and brown the other side.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa and sour cream