Although fall is not officially here yet, we are starting to show a lot of signs of it on our farm. The pumpkins are turning, the fall crops are planted and we have started to pick our delicious Jersey Fresh Apples. I am fortunate enough to live smack dab in middle of one our apple orchards. It’s pretty nice to just walk out your door and pick an apple or two off the tree to eat or bake with. I did just that the other day and whipped up these delicious Caramel Apple Pie Scones.
Apple picking is a fun family activity during the fall. Even though it is more like a job for my family, I still have a lot of fond memories of taking the kids out into our orchards to pick apples with them. We would bring a bag, walk out our front or back door and just start picking. Talk about convenience. OK, so we are a little spoiled with all the farm fresh goodness we have growing on our farm.
Apples and baking go hand in hand. These Caramel Apple Pie Scones are full of fall flavor. Apples, cinnamon and brown sugar highlight these delicious scones that have the taste and flavor of my favorite caramel apple pie.
Speaking of fond memories with the kids, I’m calling this the “Year of Sentimentality”. It’s a big year for our family – a high school senior and an eighth grader. I am so excited for all that each of their futures hold but a little sad they are not little anymore. One of the ways that I like to preserve those precious family memories is through photos and photo gifts. Shutterfly is a great site with a lot of great photo options and ideas to capture and preserve those memories.
Since these scones go perfectly with a cup of hot tea or coffee. I found a really memorable photo mug on the Shutterfly site that is a perfect birthday gift for my husband. Ordering from Shutterfly is so easy. After creating your free online account, you simply upload the photos you want to use for your project and it is automatically saved in your online account files.
I choose two photos for this Celebrate Family mug I ordered – a recent photo I took this summer of the kids at the beach and an older photo of the kids in one of our pumpkin patches. It’s a “then and now” mug that Anthony will love.
How do you like to preserve your photo memories? Well, guess what??!! I am giving away two (2) Shutterfly Photo Mugs to two lucky winners to help preserve your family memories. Simply enter the giveaway by filling out the form below.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 stick cold butter cubed
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 4 apples peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Caramel Drizzle
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons caramel ice cream syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium sauce pan, add diced apples, butter, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minute until apples start to bubble.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk to incorporate.
- With pastry blender, cut in the cubed butter. Small pea-sized pieces should form.
- Scoop out cooked apples, leaving juice in pot, and add yogurt.
- Mix just until incorporated.
- Turn out onto floured surface and shape into round circle about 1 inch thick.
- Divide into 8 equal triangles and place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooled, mix powdered sugar and caramel syrup together and drizzle over scones.