This zesty Chicken Tortilla Soup has just enough zing to warm you up on a cold day.
I’m a traditionalist. Yep, I am a soup traditionalist. There, I said it. I have a very hard time veering away for the comforting, basic chicken noodle soup. I guess you can say that I have an undying love for traditional chicken soup. Growing up, mom’s delicious soups consisted of chicken noodle or beef vegetable.
I need to add a little zest to my life. This Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is the perfect way to do it.
She never strayed from the normal with the exception of a bowl of cream of broccoli every now and then. There is nothing wrong with that, but I felt the need to break from the norm, step outside my comfort zone and whip up a pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup.
I started this recipe as I would a basic chicken soup, by poaching some chicken in a saucepan. Once the chicken is finished cooking, I strained the liquid and added that into the soup as well. Shred the chicken and set aside. You will add this back into the pot later on.
I also sautéed some bacon with the onions and peppers because everything is better with bacon. Right?? Actually, the bacon gives this soup a nice background flavor. It doesn’t overpower the base but really adds a nice depth of flavor.
The family gave it two spoons up. And, I gave myself a pat on the back for breaking away from tradition. I love the zestiness of this soup. It warms you up in more ways than one.
So, tell me, are you a traditionalist when it comes to soup? What is your favorite soup recipe?
- 2 boneless chicken cubed
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 - 15 oz. can black beans drained
- ½ cup red pepper chopped
- 1 cup Jersey Fresh corn fresh or frozen
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 - 46 ounce can chicken broth
- 2 to matoes diced or 1 - 15 can of diced tomatoes
- Crispy tortilla chips or tortilla strips - for garnish
- Sour Cream for garnish
- Cheddar Cheese for garnish
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Fill a pot with water and add chicken. Bring to a boil until chicken is cooked through - about 25 minutes. Skim off any fat that rises to the top and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add bacon to crisp. Drain of excess grease.
- Add bacon back to the pot along with the onion, peppers, green chilies, garlic and corn. Saute a few minutes until the onions are transparent.
- Add the can of chicken broth to the soup along with the skimmed broth that the chicken was poached in.
- Shred the chicken and return to the pot with the broth.
Add fresh tomatoes (or can), along with all the seasonings and the black beans to the soup. Bring to a simmer. Cook for at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish with tortilla chips and sour cream.