There is nothing more comforting than a bowl full of soup to warm your belly on a crisp fall day. I love to make soup. It’s a perfect one pot meal that is nutritious and satisfying. What I also like about soup is that it feeds a crowd…and I like to feed everyone. I guess you can call broccoli cheese soup my Achilles heel. I love it! I also order it every chance I get when it is on the menu if I am dining out. For me, it’s one of those soups that is hearty, filling and makes me happy. As the saying goes, if mama ain’t happy, nobody’s happy.
What makes today’s post even better, you ask? My foodie friend Colleen, from Souffle Bombay gathered a group of us together for a fun post about the flavors of Fall PLUS hold on to your hats!! We are giving away a GORGEOUS Kitchen Aid 5QT Professional Stand Mixer! Who’s feelin’ lucky? Be sure to enter to win below. Stay tuned for some amazing fall recipes (see below).
It’s broccoli season on our farm, which means it’s the perfect opportunity for me to make broccoli cheese soup using the broccoli we grow here at Russo’s. What I love about this Farm Fresh Broccoli Soup recipe is it is it’s packed with not only broccoli, but also carrots, celery and onions, making it both nutritious and delicious.
The broccoli is combined with carrots, onions and celery for the perfect flavor combination which adds a wonderful balance to this soup. It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner, a get together with friends and family or a special holiday like Thanksgiving and Christmas. I hope you enjoy.
- 4 cups of broccoli chopped
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 - 48 oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In large pot, melt butter.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic and onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add broccoli and then pour 1-48 ounce can of chicken stock into the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once broth is finished simmering, remove bay leaf. Take out about 1 1/2 cups for the broccoli from the soup and set aside.
- To thicken soup, mix 1 cup of cold chicken broth with 2/3 cup of flour.Bring soup to a boil and slowly pour into soup. Soup will thicken once it comes to a full boil.
- Reduce heat to a slow simmer.
- Use an emulsion blender to puree the soup in the pot. Blend until the chunks of vegetables are well pureed.
- Add the broccoli that was set aside back into the soup.
- Finish soup off by adding 2 cups of half and half and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Bring to simmer for 4 minutes and reduce to low.
- Garnish bowl with extra cheddar cheese.
Get ready for some serious deliciousness coming your way! Things like DIY Maple & Apple Breakfast Sausage, a colorful Layered Potato Gratin, hearty Black Bean & Pumpkin Soup, delicious Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese, super-fun & seasonal Apple Cider Jello Shots , Mini Cheesecakes with Mini Caramel Apple Pops and so much more!
Join us for #Food4Fall and who knows YOU may be the proud new owner of an apple-red Kitchen Aid! Good Luck!
Make sure you check out the 16 other bloggers participating in this great event.
Click on over to their blogs and check out their great recipes:
Black Bean & Pumpkin Soup from Giggles Gobbles & Gulps
Farm Fresh Broccoli & Cheese Soup from How Does Your Garden Grow?
Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup from O’ Boy Organic
Squash Soup in Pumpkin Bowls from A Day In Our Shoes
Roasted Root Vegetable & Apple Soup from Momma Lew
Layered Potato Gratin from Girl Gone Mom
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Vegetables & Bacon from The Vintage Mom
Click the Rafflecopter link below to enter!