Love cinnamon rolls, then these Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes are for you. Buttermilk pancakes are swirled with cinnamon and sugar and then topped with a vanilla glaze.
There is something about the crispness in the fall air that makes me crave pancakes. Don’t get me wrong, I love pancakes any time during the year, but the cooler weather definitely makes me want them more. Pancakes are the perfect breakfast comfort food. I am back today with another Cookbook Re-creation, which I haven’t done in a while. Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes With Vanilla Glaze are my pancake version of a nice hot cinnamon roll.
Cinnamon rolls bring me back to my childhood. My mom, the baking maven, as I like to call her, makes pretty amazing cinnamon rolls. She doesn’t make them as often as she used to but her recipe is a winner in my book. When I was a child, she would make cinnamon rolls AT LEAST twice a month. They always seemed to make a more frequent appearance around Christmas too.
So enter these Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes With Vanilla Glaze. I was craving a nice cinnamon roll recently and I got the idea to make a pancake taste like a cinnamon roll. I adapted my favorite pancake recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Welcome to Junior’s! Remembering Brooklyn With Recipes and Memories from Its Favorite Restaurant. This farm girl gives this cookbook two thumbs up! There are so many great recipes in it. Really, you have to check it out!
I created the cinnamon swirl by melting the traditional cinnamon roll filling ingredients of butter, cinnamon and brown sugar in a sauce pan. After it cools, I pour it in a squeeze bottle so I can get a nice swirl going on top of the pancake.
After you heat and oil your nonstick double griddle, it’s time to get your swirl on. Start for the outside perimeter and swirl in….or start from the inside and swirl out. It really doesn’t matter how you get your swirl on, just make sure there is a lot of the cinnamon goodness.
Drizzle some leftover cinnamon swirl over the warm pancakes. Then, top this plate of deliciousness with the vanilla glaze.
The end result…..a stack of cinnamon deliciousness that mirrors the flavors of a sweet cinnamon roll. Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes With Vanilla Glaze are perfectly comforting on a crisp fall or winter morning. Oh who am I fooling, they are perfect any time of the year.!
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon Swirl
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Vanilla Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat griddle on medium. Season with oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- To make cinnamon swirl, heat butter brown sugar, and sugar over medium heat. Melt and then add vanilla. Allow to cool and then pour in a plastic squeeze bottle.
- For Pancakes: In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and buttermilk until light yellow on high with a handheld mixer. Then beat in butter, 1 tablespoon of oil and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold by hand with spatula to incorporate. Don't over mix or your pancakes will be tough.
- On preheated griddle, pour ½ cup of batter about one inch apart. Allow pancakes to set for about one minute.
- Swirl cinnamon mixture in circle around each pancake. When top starts to bubble, flip over.
- Serve With Vanilla Glaze
- Vanilla Glaze: In small bowl, sift confectioners sugar. Add vanilla and heavy cream until desired thickness is reached.
- Pour over top of pancakes. Drizzle any remaining cinnamon swirl mixture over top too.
Need some more breakfast inspiration? Be sure to check out my Breakfast Pinterest Board.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for details.