Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies have the right amount of chocolate and the perfect amount of crisp peppermint. Perfect to enjoy at Christmas or all winter-long. They are Santa approved too!
I have a love affair with peppermint hot chocolate. I do, I really do. There is just something about the chocolate and mint that warms my soul, both literally and figuratively. There is something even more special about this dynamic duo at Christmas. It’s probably because of all the peppermint candy canes we get to enjoy. I always make sure I stock up so they will last all winter-long. That way, I can use one as a stirrer for my hot chocolate….which then turns into peppermint hot chocolate.
My kitchen has been working overtime these days in preparation for Christmas. I created these Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies to help satisfy my craving. I think Santa will be VERY happy! In fact, they are Santa approved! What’s not to love about peppermint hot chocolate in a cookie form. They are extra chocolatey too. What’s not to love.
The secret to these cookies is the hot chocolate mix, miniature marshmallows and chocolate chips that are in the batter. I ALWAYS enjoy my hot chocolate with marshmallows, so why not include them in the cookie version too? Pure mint extract is also added to the batter to give these Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies a delicious, but not too minty flavor.
The topping on the cake….or should I say “topping on the cookie”, is a creamy frosting with bits of crushed peppermint candy. These cookies are the whole package. Hot chocolate, mint, marshmallows and bits of peppermint candies – what’s not to love? What’s baking in your kitchen these days?
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure mint extract
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup hot cocoa mix about 4 packets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 container vanilla buttercream icing
- Crushed peppermint candies for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking soda, hot chocolate mix)
- In a mixer beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Then add mint extract and mix to incorporate.
- On low, slowly incorporate dry ingredients. Do not overbeat.
- Stir in chocolate chips and marshmallows with a spatula.
- Use a teaspoon-sized cookie scoop and place cookies evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- When cooled, spread icing on top of cookie and garnish with crushed peppermint candies.