Bacon Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Creamy macaroni and cheese are mixed with flavorful bacon and farm fresh cauliflower. Yum!
It’s comfort food season. Are you in? Yep, I am taking full advantage of all the warm comforting deliciousness that the cold weather introduces. I have a slight weakness for macaroni and cheese. Well, slight is sort of an understatement. Macaroni and Cheese is my ultimate comfort food. I took the concept of comfort food to the next level with this Bacon Cauliflower Macaroni And Cheese.
Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables. We grow a lot of it on our farm, so I am so lucky that I get to enjoy it frequently during the fall growing season. Since this fall was unseasonably warm here in New Jersey, our growing season was prolonged. I was so happy that I was able to enjoy our “Jersey Fresh” cauliflower up until Christmas. Bacon is a whole other story, because everything is better with bacon, right??!! For this Bacon Cauliflower Macaroni And Cheese, I combined two delicious ingredients to make one outstanding dish of comfort food.
……And comforting it is! I can’t forget about the cheese. I used a combination of shredded cheddar and gruyere – two of my favorites. They melt perfectly and add a creamy depth of flavor.
The cheese is added to a roux made with milk, flour, and butter. Cauliflower is then mixed in and the roux is cooked until it is thick and creamy. It is then mixed with macaroni and baked in a casserole dish.
This Bacon Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese is perfect for a cold winters day. But let’s face it, it perfect for any time for the year. It’s perfectly comforting “comfort food”. Stay warm and enjoy.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 8 slices cooked bacon chopped
- 2 1/2 cups gruyere cheese shredded
- 2 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 cups of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Blend in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually stir in the milk. Cook constantly until the sauce begins to thicken and mixture begins to boil.
- Slowly add the cheese, bacon and cauliflower. Stir and bring to a low boil for one minute.
- Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Stir together the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce. Pour into butter cassarole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Have your ordered my new Cookbook yet? There is a lot of delicious flavors packed inside with 25 new recipes included! Follow this link to order your copy today!