It’s hot chocolate season and Elsa’s Minty White Chocolate is inspired by one of my favorite Disney movie’s – FROZEN.
I have a thing for peppermint hot chocolate. It’s good. It’s really good. As we all know, hot chocolate is the perfect winter warm up. Whether you are sledding, skiing, ice skating or just sitting by the fire, there is something about hot chocolate that not only warms our belly but soothes the soul. I find it so comforting. It’s chocolate after all, in a warm liquid form. Hello happiness!
I firmly believe this version would make Elsa happy. I named the drink after her after all! It’s made with white chocolate instead of the traditional milk chocolate. It has just the right amount of minty flavor, so as not to take away from the rich and delicious white chocolate flavor. I used peppermint extract to get the right amount of the mint flavor. You can also use 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil too. Just be careful because essential oil flavors are very powerful and concentrated.
I even added a few drops of blue food coloring because I hear blue is Elsa’s favorite color. This gives the hot chocolate a nice light blue color.
When the white hot chocolate is the perfect temperature – not too hot and not too cold, and DEFINITELY not boiling, remove it from the stove and pour into cups. If you like your hot chocolate with marshmallows, like me, then add a generous handful of miniature marshmallows to the top. I love how the marshmallows melt into the hot deliciousness, further enhancing the flavor.
Since the start of the Christmas season is here, Elsa’s Minty White Hot Chocolate is the perfect way to kick things off. Turn on some Christmas music, kick back and enjoy!
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract or two drops peppermint essential oil.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blue food coloring optional
- Crushed peppermint candy for garnish
- Miniature marshmallows for garnish
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Add milk and half & half to a medium sauce pan and heat thoroughly Do not boil.
- Lower heat and add white chocolate chips and stir until they dissolve.
- Add 1-2 drops of blue food coloring to give the white hot chocolate a light blue tint.
- Add peppermint extract and vanilla.
- Pour white hot chocolate in a cup. Top with a generous handful of marshmallows.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy.