Blueberry Hand Pies are a delicious mini-pie dessert made with fresh blueberries. It’s my idea of a perfect snack.
As a child, I used to love the mini-pies my mom would purchase at the grocery store for my school lunch. I mean I really LOVED them. I couldn’t wait for lunch to start so I could dig into one of those delicious treats. If I was really lucky, mom would make homemade hand pies for us too when she had time. Yes, she spoiled us with great food!
Blueberry Hand Pies remind me of days long past. Blueberry season is in full swing here on the farm and the focus is on delicious blueberry recipes. While I made sure I froze plenty to last over the winter, I brought some fresh picked blues home the other day and thought it would be fun to whip up a batch of Blueberry Hand Pies for all of us to enjoy – just like mom used to make.
These are so simple too. I love the convenience of store-bought pie crust but if you want to make your own, I always use this perfect pie crust recipe. Store-bought a time saver when I don’t have enough time to make my own. As a busy mom, it’s OK to cheat once in a while. The packaged pie crust you can find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store is so easy to work with.
I begin my mixing the filling ingredients. While I used fresh blueberries, you can easily make these hand pies with frozen blueberries.
Fill one side of each circle with one tablespoon of the blueberry filling. Brush the outer edge of each circle with egg. This will help the Blueberry Hand Pies stay closed.
After they are closed, I used a fork to seal the edges. Brush each one with more egg wash and sprinkle with some sugar. You can also make a nice glaze for the top if you want. I then baked them for 25 minutes.
So simple and delicious. My family devoured them.
- 2 cups Jersey Fresh blueberries, washed
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup tapioca
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sprinkling Sugar
- Pre Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Mix together. Set aside until ready to use.
- Unroll one refrigerated pie crust. Give a gentle roll out with a rolling pin.
- Using a large biscuit cutter ( about 4-5" in diameter), cut 7 circles.
- Fill one side of each circle with one tablespoon of filling.
- Fold circle over and brush edge with beaten egg. Use a fork to score shut.
- Line up evenly on a baking sheet
- Brush the top of each hand pie with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle hand pies with sugar.
- With a sharp knife, pierce a small hole in each pie so steam can escape.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
Hand pies are perfect for any time of the year. Blueberry, peach, and apple are my favorite! Have you ever made your own hand pies? What is your favorite?