I think pasta is one of the most versatile ingredients around. No surprise there, it can practically be added to anything, and anything can be added to it. I admit, I love my pasta. This Greek-inspired pasta salad is perfect as a side dish for a summer picnic or a served alone as a light meal. I love that it can be served cold. Who wants to turn the oven on when it’s 100 degrees outside, right? Pasta salad can not only serve as a side dish but also as a light meal by adding more hearty ingredients or protein. That’s the great thing about pasta salad – you can any ingredient you like to it!
Here is one of my favorite pasta salads I make quite often – Greek-Style Pasta Salad. I recently prepared it for Gabrielle’s Sweet 16 Celebration. The feta cheese, cucumbers, olives and vinaigrette dressing are all traditional Greek ingredients that makes this salad so tasty. Do you have a favorite salad you like to make? I’d love to hear. I hope you give this one a try and let me know how you like it.
- 1 lb. box of Penne pasta
- 1 Cucumber, diced
- ½ cup Red Pepper, diced
- ½ cup Green Pepper, diced
- ½ cup Celery, diced
- ½ cup Onion, diced
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- 12 oz. Feta Cheese
- ⅔ cup Kalamata or Black Olives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
- ½ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ⅔ Cup Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, chop vegetables: cucumber, peppers, celery, onion, cherry tomatoes and set aside.
- Chop olives and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, add pasta and all the chopped vegetables. Add feta cheese to mixture.
- Pour prepared dressing (see below) over top and gently incorporate all the ingredients together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To Make Dressing:
- Measure ½ cup of red wine vinegar in a bowl. Add crushed garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk to incorporate.
- Once incorporated, gradually whisk in olive oil and blend well.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.