Now that school is starting, so too is all the after school practices and activities for my kids. The craziness has begun! I am always scrambling to find quick but nourishing foods they can eat on the fly. Pizza is a big hit in the Russo household. Yes, we do order out at times but I also like to make my own as well. It actually can be pretty healthy to eat too. I like to add vegetables as topping so my family can enjoy the extra flavor and the added health benefits. Like any pizza, you can basically add any topping that you like.
This particular pizza is made using foccacia bread as the “pizza dough”. Don’t have foccacia bread? Try making it with French bread or pizza dough. It tastes just as good. I like to think of this as my version of a white pizza. I love making pizza too because it is a great way to clean out the refrigerator. I had some left over grilled chicken staring me in the face every time the door was opened so I added it as one of the toppings. Yummy!
I start by chopping up some grilled chicken I had left over in the refrigerator. I then chop up the onion, garlic and tomato and set aside.
Slice the bread lengthwise and brush inside with a mixture of olive oil, garlic and Italian seasoning.
Now, I spread a layer of the mozzarella and then top with the grilled chicken, tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. It looks so good and it’s not even baked yet!
Pop it in a 400 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes and you have a healthy, delicious and QUICK dinner in a snap.
This is pizza is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. Serve with a side salad and you have a hearty meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight of practices and after school activities. I just love the crunchiness of the foccacia “crust”. Like any pizza, this one is just as versatile. You can add any favorite topping to suit your family’s taste. Do you make pizza at home? What is your family’s favorite?
- 2 cups grilled chicken chopped
- 1 large Jersey tomato diced
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Foccacia bread or french bread
- Preheat oven ato 400 degrees.
- Slice foccacia bread in half and place on a baking sheet.
- Chop onion and tomato and set aside
- In small bowl, combine oil, garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Brush bread with oil mixture.
- Top with shredded mozzarella, tomatoes and onions.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly brown.