Can we talk about a classic? Vanilla Bake Shop Cupcakes. Enough said. I guess you can either call me a traditionalist or a plain Jane when it comes to cakes and cupcakes because vanilla is my favorite flavor. Not chocolate, not carrot, not strawberry – just plain old vanilla, especially my mom’s vanilla cupcakes.
Recently, my mom and I set out to make a whole bunch of cupcakes (four different flavors to be exact) for Gabrielle’s Sweet 16 Celebration. This recipe is so yummy and Mom has been making this recipe for as long as I can remember.
To begin, line two muffin tins with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
Sift dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
In mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Gradually add the eggs one at a time followed by the milk and vanilla. Gently beat in the dry ingredients just until blended. Batter will be smooth and creamy. Doesn’t this look tasty! I bet you’d love to lick the bowl!
Now, fill the pans 2/3 full and bake at 325º for 17-20 minutes.
Cool completely and frost with your favorite icing. My favorite, my Aunt Jule’s Vanilla Icing, is below. You can top with sprinkles, nuts, coconut or whatever topping you like.
These cupcakes are perfect for any special occasion or just because. What is your favorite kind of cupcake? I hope you enjoy this one.
- 1 3/4 cup Cake Flour
- 1 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 sticks Butter room temperature
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners (24)
- Sift dry ingredients.
- In mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and blend well.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each.
- Slowly mix in milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredient and beat gently just until incorporated.
- Spoon muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 17-20 minutes.
- Ice with favorite icing (see Vanilla Icing recipe below)
- 2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla
- 2 heaping tablespoons marshmallow topping
- In medium saucepan, add milk and whisk in flour. Cook flour mixture, stirring constantly, until thick. Cool completely
- In mixing bowl, cream Crisco and butter. Beat well!
- Add sifted powdered sugar and beat well - about 3 minutes.
- Add cooked flour paste, one tablespoon at a time. Mix well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Then add marshmallow topping and beat about 5 minutes until icing is very fluffy.