Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Combine the taste of your favorite warm beverage with a delicious baked cupcake treat with these tasty Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. They’re the perfect dessert to serve during the holidays or winter months to your children and loved ones.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Have you ever tried Hot Chocolate Cupcakes? If not, you need to follow this recipe to prepare the best cupcakes ever. Not only are they moist and delicious, but they also have this perfect marshmallow frosting that will remind you of all those flavorful cups of hot chocolate you’ve enjoyed with family and friends over the years.
Why You’ll Love the Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- These cupcakes are moist, delicious, and absolutely decadent. You can’t go wrong when you prepare this recipe!
- You can make the tastiest baked cupcakes using minimal ingredients with only a handful of equipment that you likely already have at home.
- It won’t take long to prepare this recipe. You can have these delicious cupcakes ready to eat within an hour.
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes Ingredients
- Vanilla Cake Mix – Use any brand of the cake mix that you personally prefer. Any brand will do!
- Eggs – You’ll need to combine the cake mix with the eggs.
- Oil – Add the oil to your mixing bowl with the cake mix and eggs, mixing well to get a creamier consistency.
- Water – Follow the directions on the box, using the directed amount of water with your cake mix.
- Hot Cocoa Mix – The hot cocoa mix adds a special touch and gives these cupcakes their naturally great taste.
- Vanilla – Use a bit of vanilla to add even more flavor to your cupcakes.
Cupcake Making Kitchen Essentials
You’ll also need marshmallow fluff, unsalted butter at room temperature, powdered sugar, milk or coffee creamer, and vanilla to prepare the marshmallow frosting for your cupcakes.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Set your oven to 350 degrees. While waiting for it to get hot, add your cake mix into a bowl with water, eggs, cocoa, vanilla, and oil, mixing until well combined and then dividing evenly among your cupcake tins.
Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, using a toothpick to check when they’re done. Let your cupcakes cool in the pans for at least 30 minutes.
While waiting for the cupcakes to cool, prepare the frosting by adding the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and marshmallow cream to a bowl, mixing low for three minutes and then mixing on high for another three minutes.
Place the frosting in a piping bag and use tip 1A to squeeze a circle on the top of the cupcake.
Can I use cocoa powder?
Yes, if you don’t have hot cocoa powder, you can use traditional cocoa powder in this recipe with no problem.
Do I have to add the mini candy canes to the cupcakes?
No, it’s optional. If you like candy canes, you can add them. If not, you can add other ingredients on top, such as mini marshmallows.
What can I do if I don’t have a piping bag?
If you don’t have a piping bag, you can use a large Ziploc bag to pipe your frosting on top of cupcakes.
Try These Easy Cupcake Recipes
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- Nutcracker Cupcakes
- Cannoli Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes
Save this Hot Cocoa Cupcake Recipe for later. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest Board.
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Combine the taste of your favorite warm beverage with a delicious baked cupcake treat when preparing these tasty Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. They’re the perfect dessert to serve during the holidays or winter months to your children and loved ones. This easy cupcake recipe is Santa-approved too.
- 1 15oz box vanilla cake mix 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Marshmallow frosting
- 7oz Marshmallow fluff or creme
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk or flavored coffee creamer
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add marshmallow creme, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and choice of liquid to a bowl
- Mix on low until incorporated (2-3 min), then mix on HIGH for an additional 3-4 mins. Add frosting to a piping bag with a tip 1A.
- Squeeze a circle on the top of the cupcake.
- Add a mini candy cane to the side and a few mini marshmallows on top!