If you love eating baked goods for breakfast, try this Swedish Breakfast Rolls Recipe. These rolls are sweet, soft, fluffy, and perfect to eat for a quick grab-and-go breakfast. Try these Swedish Breakfast Buns during the holiday season too.
What Are Swedish Breakfast Rolls?
Swedish Breakfast Rolls are sweet rolls consisting of almonds, flour, cardamom, and other ingredients. They have a subtle sweet taste that makes them a great choice for a quick breakfast.
These breakfast rolls are my take on Swedish Fika. They also are known as Cardamom rolls. Fika means a coffee and cake break.
You can grab one of these rolls and eat it while you’re on the go. With this recipe, you can learn how to make incredible rolls with the perfect sweet filling and buttercream frosting to add on top.
Ingredients Needed to Make the Swedish Breakfast Rolls
Make the tastiest Swedish Breakfast Rolls with these ingredients:
- Active Dry Yeast. Make sure you have one packet of the yeast so that your dough rises properly.
- Sugar. Adding sugar to your flour mixture gives these rolls a sweeter touch.
- All-Purpose Flour. Use the flour as the base for your dough.
- Butter. Leave the butter out to soften before you combine it with your flour, yeast, and other ingredients.
- Maraschino Cherries. These sweet cherries are a must-have. You’ll add them to your filling and the frosting that you’ll apply to the rolls.
It’s also important to have milk, water, powdered sugar, cardamom, salt, egg, almond extract, almonds, and packed brown sugar to make your dough, filling, and frosting.
Does the dough need to sit for a bit to rise?
Yes, you need to let the dough sit in a lightly greased bowl for at least an hour. Be sure to cover the bowl before you place it on the kitchen table or countertop to get the dough to rise.
Check the dough in 60 minutes and if you can wait a bit longer, don’t touch the dough until you’ve allowed it to sit in the bowl for 90 minutes. It’s important to let the dough rise before you use it to make these rolls.
How many rolls does this recipe make?
Use this recipe to make a maximum of 14 rolls! Double the recipe when you’re making the rolls for a larger family.
How do I make the buttercream frosting?
You can make the buttercream frosting by combining powdered sugar with unsalted butter, milk, almond extract, maraschino cherries, and sliced almonds. It will have a sweet taste with a slight crunch from the almonds.
Can I add the frosting to the rolls while they’re still hot?
It’s not a good idea to put the frosting on the rolls while they’re still hot. Instead, set the Swedish Breakfast Rolls off to the side and allow them to cool completely. Once they’ve cooled down, it’s the perfect time to add your frosting.
You can spread the frosting evenly over the rolls and then sprinkle some maraschino cherries and sliced almonds on top for garnish.
Do I have to use almonds in this recipe?
Almonds play an important role in this recipe. They offer a great taste and a slightly crunchy texture that goes with the softer texture of the rolls. If you can’t eat almonds, you can leave them out.
Try These Easy Breakfast Recipes
Save these Swedish Breakfast Buns for later. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
- 2 1⁄4 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3 1⁄4 to 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Almond Cherry Filling:
- 1⁄2 cup almond paste (8oz)
- 10 oz. Maraschino cherries (1/8 cup reserved)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Butter Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1⁄2 tsp almond extract
- 2-3 tsp milk
- 1/8 cup reserved maraschino cherries
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in cooled milk, sugar, butter, egg, cardamom, salt, and 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in greased bowl; cover, let rise until double (1 to 1 1⁄2 hours).
- In a small bowl, break up almond paste and combine with brown sugar and butter. Mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl prepare butter cream frosting by combining powdered sugar, butter, almond extract, and milk until smooth. Chop 1/8 cup maraschino cherries and set aside with almond slices and frosting for topping rolls after baking. Place frosting in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Punch down dough. Roll into rectangle 15x9 inches.
- Spread filling on dough rectangle by dropping small pieces all over dough. Chop cherries and
spread them over filling. Roll dough lengthwise and slice evenly approximately 1-1/2”.
- Heat oven to 350. Place rolls on baking sheet and bake 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely
on wire rack.
- Spread butter cream frosting over rolls and garnish with remaining chopped maraschino cherries and almond slices.
- Store in covered container until ready to serve. • Enjoy!