This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PickedAtPeak #CollectiveBias
This Garden Fresh Pasta Puttanesca has plenty of spicy zip. Fresh garden vegetables and spicy sausage star in this one-pot recipe.
Now that summer is here, I am all about quick meals. Now that summer is here I am also all about incorporating as many garden fresh vegetables into our family meals as possible. I guess I am at a slight advantage because I live and work on our family’s 700-acre farm, but if you don’t frequent your local farmers market, you should. Farm fresh fruits and vegetables are wonderful to cook with. This farm girl loves her pasta too. While I like to make my own sauce from the tomatoes we grow here on our farm, sometimes I just don’t have the time. New Prego® Farmers’ Market sauces are the perfect answer to get dinner on the table in 30 minutes of less.
Garden Fresh Pasta Puttanesca is my husband’s favorite pasta dish. Bold flavors, hot sausage and a lot of farm fresh vegetables equal one delicious meal. Using Prego® Farmers’ Market Classic Marinara turns this one-pot pasta into a quick 30-minute meal. These jarred sauces are made with the freshest ingredients, just like you would find at your local farmers’ market. By using a jarred marinara like Prego® Farmers’ Market, the prep time is cut in half because the marinara is already made. It’s a perfect solution when you need to get dinner on the table quickly.
As I said before, I love to cook with farm fresh vegetables. They are not only good for you but they really enhance the flavors of a meal. Traditionally, puttanesca is a spicy Italian sauce that has anchovies and olives in it. My Garden Fresh Pasta Puttanesca recipe is a variation of a traditional puttanesca served in many Italian restaurants. I omitted the anchovies and olives and added hot peppers, mushrooms, and squash instead.
Because this is a one-pot meal, it saves me time in having to wash a ton of dishes. I first sautéed the vegetables in olive oil. I removed them from the pan and then cooked the sausage until golden brown. Drain the grease and then add the sausage and vegetables back into the pan. I then add the Prego® Farmers’ Market Classic Marinara to the pan, followed by a box of quick cooking pasta (another time saver!). Stir to incorporate the sauce and cook until the pasta is tender.
How’s that for a heart farm fresh dinner! Now, if you are not a fan of the spicy zip, you can certainly substitute the hot peppers for green bell peppers. The wonderful this about this recipe is you can tailor it any way you like. It’s the perfect way to use those fresh vegetables from your most recent “farmer’s market haul.”
Prego® Farmers’ Market Sauces are brand new. These great tasting sauces come in three flavors: Classic Marinara, Tomato & Basil and Roasted Garlic. They can be found in the pasta and sauce aisle at Walmart.
- 1 jar Prego® Farmers' Market Classic Marinara Sauce
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (season to taste)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 Italian long hot peppers
- 3 Italian hot sausage links, casing removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable stock or white wine
- 1 - 12 ounce box quick cooking pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper flakes and cook for a few seconds. Then, add remaining vegetables and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from skillet.
- Return skillet to heat and add one tablespoon of oil. Add sausage. Break into small pieces and continue cooking until browned. Drain excess fat.
- Add vegetables and sausage back into the skillet. Pour Prego® Farmers' Market Classic Marinara Sauce and mix to incorporate. Add wine or vegetable stock. Season with salt.
- Add quick cooking pasta and stir. Cover and cook for 20 more minutes over low heat.
- When pasta is tender, remove from stove. Garnish with fresh basil.