The art of the grilled cheese. It’s the simplest of sandwiches to craft, but yet there really is an “art” to perfecting the perfect grilled cheese. A Roasted Tomato Grilled Cheese sandwich is perfection in my book. Five simple ingredients equals one delicious sandwich.
The perfect grilled cheese sandwich starts out with the bread. I’m not talking about just any kind of bread. I am talking about a good rustic bread. You know, the kind that has a nice crunchy crust. I’m partial to a multi-grain bread. There is something about the sound of that crunch when you bite into it. Mmmm!
Now lets talk a little about the cheese. You can use whatever you like, as long as it melts good. It is your sandwich, after all. I have a preference for cheddar cheese, especially on grilled cheese sandwiches. I love the way it gets stringy when you pull away from the bite. Yum!
Now onto the final part – the roasted tomato. I love the flavor of roasted tomatoes. You can either buy them already roasted in a can, or roast your own in the oven. Since we grow a lot of tomatoes here on our farm, I love to roast my own.
I am sure you probably already know how to construct one of these bad boys, but I am going to refresh your memory. The key is to slather each side of the sandwich generously with butter after you assemble your sandwich and before you put them on your hot griddle.
Once you remove the sandwich from the griddle (make sure the cheese is nice and melted and the bread is crispy brown), rub the top of each side with a piece of garlic. The garlic seeps into the nooks and crannies and adds such a delicious flavor to the sandwich, without overpowering it with garlic.
Since we eat lunch at home everyday, I always try to mix things up a little for the hubby. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and lunch meat sandwiches can get pretty boring day after day. But THIS! It’s anything BUT boring. It’s cheesy, tomato deliciousness sandwiched in between two crunchy slices of bread.
It’s the art of the perfect grilled cheese. It’s a Roasted Tomato Grilled Cheese. It’s perfection.
- 2 roasted tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese, or any good melting cheese you prefer
- 2 slices multi-grain bread
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Heat griddle on medium heat.
- To assemble the grilled cheese, add two slices of cheese to a slice of bread.
- Top cheese with tomato slices and then remaining two slices of bread.
- Top with other slice of bread.
- Spread one tablespoon of butter on the outside of each slice of bread.
- Melt remaining butter on griddle.
- Place sandwich on griddle and cook until brown.
- Flip and cook remaining side until brown and cheese is melted.