Best Butter Board Ever
Butter boards are a new rage. You simply spread butter on a board and from there, you can add flavorings, seasonings, or dip whatever you’d like into the butter. You’ve heard of the charcuterie board, but this butter board is changing the appetizer scene. Learn how to make a butter board.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
I am going to set the record straight. I love butter. Give me a nice crusty piece of French bread and some salted butter to slather and I am in heaven. When I first heard about this new charcuterie board idea, I was like, “sign me up!” Butter boards are the newest charcuterie board trend.
It is so easy to make your own board. These boards allow you to get creative with the ingredients and are a fun way to serve bread and butter at a party too. Here are my tips on how to make this trendy charcuterie board. This is an easy appetizer for the holiday season too.
Butter Board Ingredients
- Unsalted Butter – The butter needs to be softened for this recipe.
- Sweet mini bell peppers – The bell peppers are going to help the butter board turn out savory.
- Flaky salt – A little flaky salt goes a long way in this recipe.
- Herbes de Provence blend – I show you how to make this blend below.
- Black pepper – This will help add some spice to the recipe.
- Baguette – This will serve as the bread for your butter board.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This oil will help make your ingredients pop.
What can I serve with a butter board?
This is a great appetizer to serve alongside a variety of other delicious dishes. Some great options include roasted chicken, roast beef, shrimp cocktail, crudites with dip, or bruschetta.
You can also drizzle your finished board with a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for an added burst of flavor. Whatever you choose to serve alongside your butter board, it is sure to be the hit of any party or gathering!
When it comes to what to add to your board, the sky is the limit. Get creative and add different ingredients.
Are butter boards expensive to make?
It really depends on the ingredients that you choose to use in your board. Some simple, classic ingredients, like butter, mini bell peppers, and flaky salt, are not very expensive at all and can be found at most grocery stores.
However, if you want to get more creative with your charcuterie board and use things like specialty cheese or fresh herbs, the cost of ingredients can increase. As a general rule, you should expect to pay anywhere from $10-$20 for all the ingredients you need to make a delicious butter board.
Can I freeze a butter board?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze a butter board. In fact, this is a great way to make your butter board ahead of time for parties or gatherings, so that you don’t have to worry about making it last minute. You can prep all of this ahead of time, with the exception of the vegetables. Definitely add them right before serving.
To freeze your board, simply place all the ingredients on a baking sheet and put it in the freezer until completely frozen. Then, transfer the ingredients to a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to serve your butter board, simply remove it from the freezer and let thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator before serving.
Tips & Tricks
If you do not want to put butter directly onto the board, cut a piece of parchment paper and fit it to the size of your board. Adhere with a little cooking spray then build board as instructed. Be creative with your board. You can add smoked salmon or any type of thinly sliced deli meat.
How to Make the Herbes de Provence blend:
- Dried Fennel
- Dried basil
- Dried mint
- Dried lavender
Have you ever made a butter board? What did you think of it?
Entertaining Kitchen Essentials
More Holiday Appetizers:
- Christmas ROLO Pretzels – Two Ways!
- Sausage Stars Appetizers
- Simple Bruschetta
- How To Make A Charcuterie Board
- How To Make Deli Meat Roses
Butter boards are a new rage. You simply spread butter on a board and from there, you can add flavorings, seasonings, or dip whatever you'd like into the butter. You've heard of the charcuterie board, but this butter board is changing the appetizer scene. Learn how to make a butter board.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 sweet mini bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tsp flaky salt
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence blend
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bagette, sliced
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Add dollops of the softened butter to board, spreading it out.
- Use an offset spatula or spoon (something angled) to spread out the butter in a nice pattern.
- Sprinkle the flaky salt, herbes de provence and pepper all over the butter.
- Place the onions and peppers on top.
- To a hot skillet add the oil
- Lightly toast the slices of the baguette on both sides to be served with the butter board.
- Serve and enjoy
- Charcuterie or wooden (food safe) board
- Parchment paper, optional
- Offset Spatula or Spoon