If you’d like a light and refreshing side dish, try this easy homemade Greek Salad. It consists of healthy ingredients that are good for you, including cucumbers and red onions.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
What Is a Greek Salad?
Greek Salad is a refreshing salad commonly served in Greece that consists of red onion, tomatoes, olives, cheese, and a light dressing. It’s the perfect salad to make when you want a meat-free option consisting of healthy ingredients.
This Easy homemade Greek salad is an easy potluck recipe to share too. Bring this summer salad to the next picnic or gathering you attend.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make the Greek Salad
You’ll need several fresh ingredients to prepare the Greek Salad from scratch (scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe), including:
- English Cucumber. Slice your cucumber into round pieces. You can also use a regular cucumber as well, just be aware there will be more seeds. To remove the seeds from a cucumber, slice it in half and use a spoon to scrape the seeds out of the center.
- Grape Tomatoes. Slice the grape tomatoes in half before adding them to the salad.
- Red Onion. Chop your red onion into half circles to add a bold flavor to your salad.
- Feta Cheese. Adding feta cheese is the perfect way to bring flavor and texture to your salad.
- Kalamata Olives. Kalamata olives of a staple in many Greek recipes. But…if you are not a fan of them, leave them out.
Besides the ingredients for the salad, you’ll also need ingredients to prepare the fresh dressing. The ingredients you’ll need for the dressing include red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dijon mustard, and oregano. You can also add salt and pepper to your dressing.
How To Make Greek Salad?
It doesn’t take long to make the Greek Salad. You’ll need roughly 15 minutes to prep and combine all your ingredients. You can let the salad set for 30 minutes to chill before eating it. You can start enjoying this flavorful salad in less than an hour.
Can I Use Regular Olive Oil?
Extra virgin olive oil is best to use because it is not nearly as processed as traditional olive oil. It tends to have a lighter, better taste to it. However, if you only have olive oil at home, you can still use it to prepare the dressing.
What If I Don’t Have Red Wine Vinegar?
If you don’t have any red wine vinegar to use when preparing the dressing for this Greek Salad, you can combine white vinegar with red wine to make it at home. In a pinch, I have also substituted apple cider vinegar when I had no red wine vinegar.l
What Do I Eat With the Greek Salad?
You can always eat Greek Salad as the main course or an appetizer. It’s the perfect quick meal to have for lunch or dinner. If you want to eat something with it, you can pair it with some of your favorite grilled or baked meats. It’s an alternative to traditional side dishes that are often carb-heavy and time-consuming to prepare.
How Do I Store the Greek Salad?
Store the salad in a large plastic or glass food storage container with a lid. Place it in the fridge to keep it fresh for two days. Be sure to eat it within that two-day period, otherwise, you’ll need to make it again. It’s better to eat the salad fresh instead of attempting to freeze it and eat it later.
Try These Easy Potluck Salad Recipes!
Save This Easy Greek Salad recipe for later. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
If you’d like a light and refreshing side dish, try this Greek Salad. It consists of healthy ingredients that are good for you, including cucumbers and red onions.
- Salad Ingredients
- 1 English Cucumber, Sliced into Rounds
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes, Slice in Half
- ½ Red Onion, sliced into half circles
- ¼ Cup Feta Cheese
- ½ Cup Kalamata Olives
- Greek Dressing
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Start by slicing all the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, add all the salad ingredients.
- Mix all the veggies with the cheese and the olives.
- Add the half the olive oil over the salad ingredients and toss.
- Then, in a smaller bowl, mix the remainder of the greek dressing ingredients using a fork.
- Pour the greek dressing over the salad and mix.
- Set the salad aside for 30 minutes to let the ingredients and flavors mesh.
- Serve at room temperature.