You won’t be able to resist the soul-soothing comfort of this delicious Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe.
I think I have a potato addiction. The struggle is real, but I love potatoes in pretty much every way, shape or form! You probably already know that I also LOVE comfort foods. There is no better way to soothe your soul than enjoying a dish or bowl of some heartwarming comfort food. So that brings me to this delicious Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe that incorporates both my love of potatoes and comfort food. I am a baked potato lover and this soup is filled with lots of baked potato goodness.
No obviously, you can’t enjoy a bowl of this Loaded Baked Potato Soup without adding potatoes to the recipe. They are the star of this recipe. Give the classic potato a nod for Best Actor. But this recipe has an amazing co-star – BACON! We already know the everything is better with bacon but it gives this soup a delicious background flavor. I’m nominating the mouthwatering bacon as the Best Supporting Actor. Oh yea, I always leave my potatoes unpeeled because it adds even more flavor. If you like peeled potatoes in your soup, then, by all means, peel them.
I love a thick soup. I created a roux made with butter, flour, and milk to serve as a thickening agent. If you like a thicker soup, just whisk in a little less milk. To give the soup a rich bacon flavor, I sauteed the bacon right in the pot. I drained the grease drippings but the bacon flavor still remains.
I like the garnish this Loaded Baked Potato Soup just like I like my baked potatoes. Pile on plenty of crisp bacon, cheese, and scallions.
That way you get a delicious flavor profile for every spoonful you enjoy! Happy comfort food season!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Yield 6 Servings
You won't be able to resist the soul-soothing comfort of this delicious Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside. Reserve some bacon for garnishing. Drain grease drippings.
- Add butter to the pot and melt over medium heat. Add onions and cook until transparent.
- Add flour to the pot, stirring constantly, about 1-minute. Whisk in chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly about 4 minutes. Add milk.
- Add potatoes, bacon and one cup of cheese and stir well. Cook over medium until soup comes to a boil.
- Once soup comes to a boil, lower and cook about 45 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with remaining cheese, scallions, and bacon.