Creamy and comforting, you won’t be able to resist this easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe. Warm-up with a bowl of this delicious soup recipe that is full of potatoes, cheese and bacon.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
I think I have a potato addiction. The struggle is real, but I love potatoes in pretty much every way, shape or form! You probably already know that I also LOVE comfort foods. I am a baked potato lover and this soup is filled with lots of baked potato goodness.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Ingredients
No reason not to make this easy soup recipe. You most likely have all these baked potato soup ingredients in your kitchen.
- Russet potatoes
- Milk or half and half
- Chicken stock
- Onion, finely diced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Scallions finely chopped (for garnish)
- Salt & pepper
How to make The Best Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Now obviously, you can’t enjoy a bowl of this Loaded Baked Potato Soup without adding potatoes to the recipe. They are the star of this recipe. Give the classic potato a nod for Best Actor. But this recipe has an amazing co-star – BACON! We already know that everything is better with bacon but it gives this soup a delicious background flavor.
I’m nominating the mouthwatering bacon as the Best Supporting Actor. Oh yea, I always leave my potatoes unpeeled because it adds even more flavor. If you like peeled potatoes in your soup, then, by all means, peel them.
I love a thick soup. I created a roux made with butter, flour, and milk to serve as a thickening agent. If you like a thicker soup, just whisk in a little less milk. To give the soup a rich bacon flavor, I sauteed the bacon right in the pot I drained the grease drippings but the bacon flavor still remains.
I like the garnish this Loaded Baked Potato Soup just like I like my baked potatoes. Pile on plenty of crisp bacon, cheese, and scallions.
That way you get a delicious flavor profile for every spoonful you enjoy! Happy comfort food season!
Try These Easy Soup Recipes
- Chicken Rice Soup
- Beef Vegetable Soup In A Jar
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Homemade Corn Chowder
Save this Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe. Pin The image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
Creamy and comforting, you won't be able to resist this easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe. Warm-up with a bowl of this delicious soup recipe that is full of potatoes, cheese and bacon. This is the best baked potato soup recipe. This soup recipe is the ultimate comfort food that is topped with your favorite baked potato toppings.
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 scallions finely chopped (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside. Reserve some bacon for garnishing. Drain grease drippings.
- Add butter to the pot and melt over medium heat. Add onions and cook until transparent.
- Add flour to the pot, stirring constantly, about 1-minute. Whisk in chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly about 4 minutes. Add milk.
- Add potatoes, bacon and one cup of cheese and stir well. Cook over medium until soup comes to a boil.
- Once soup comes to a boil, lower and cook about 45 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with sour cream and remaining cheese, scallions, and bacon.