The Best Pumpkin Chili
Pumpkin Chili is a delicious twist on the classic chili recipe. This easy chili recipe is made with pumpkin puree, ground beef, beans, and a simple homemade blend of chili seasonings.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Here in New Jersey, this has been the summer that would not end. Now don’t get me wrong, I love the warm weather(minus the New Jersey humidity) but I don’t like 90-degree weather in October. I get to the point in September when I am craving a delicious hearty meal.
But comfort food just doesn’t cut it when the weather is hot and humid. Our weather finally feels like fall and the Pumpkin Chili recipe is the perfect comfort food.
I love everything about fall. The pumpkins, the apples, FOOTBALL, all those cute Halloween treats, and of course comfort food! Chili is the ultimate comfort food in our home. It’s perfect to enjoy while watching football and serves are an easy weeknight meal for the family.
I added a little twist to this classic chili recipe by adding pumpkin puree. The flavor of this Pumpkin Chili Recipe is not overpowering. The pumpkin does totally take over but there is a subtle pumpkin flavor mixed in with the traditional chili ingredients.
How To Make Pumpkin Chili: Recipe Tips and Instructions
I like to make chili in a dutch oven. But if you don’t have one, a large saucepot will work just fine. You can use any bell peppers for this recipe! A combination of colors makes for a beautiful presentation.
Read the pumpkin puree label carefully and make sure you get PLAIN pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
You can substitute the ground beef for turkey if desired or even make this vegetarian by skipping the meat completely.
The combination of pinto and black beans gives this dish a little variety, but you can use any combination of beans you prefer.
This dish freezes great! Make a double batch, and store in freezer bags for an extra quick meal for back to school.
Must-Have Recipe Resources
These items are helpful to have in your kitchen when making this delicious chili recipe.
Meal Plan Game Plan
Add this delicious Pumpkin Chili recipe to your weekly meal plan. Here are a few other items that you can also add to your meal plan game plan too.
Side Dish 1: Easy Antipasto Salad
Side Dish 2: Roma Salad
Eat dessert first!: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Save this Pumpkin Chili recipe for later. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest Board.
The Best Pumpkin Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree, plain
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: pumpkin seeds, white cheddar cheese, parsley
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until browned and fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add oil and cook bell peppers, onion and jalapeno pepper until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Return meat to pan and add chili powder, cumin, pumpkin puree, pinto beans, black beans, tomatoes and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes. You can add more water if needed.