Of all the vegetables we grow here at Russo’s, brussels sprouts are probably the most unusual. They are funky, actually. In the field, the look nothing like the cute little cabbages you buy in a pint-sized container at the grocery store.
This is how they grow. You didn’t believe when I said they are funky looking. Did you!
Brussels sprouts you see, grow on a stalk. Yes, I said stalk. Customers who shop our retail market are often shocked to see what they look like. This is how we sell them at our store and to our wholesale trade. Once they are cut off the stalk, there are many different ways to prepare them.
Brussels sprouts are a vegetable people either really enjoy or really dislike. I myself, am not a fan of boiling or steaming them. I find those methods rather boring. I love to roast brussels sprouts to bring out their sweetness. Roasting them adds a whole new delicious caramelized flavor dimension. Pairing them with apples and maple syrup like I did in this recipe even further intensifies their flavor.
If you are planning your Thanksgiving menu, why not try Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Ham and Apples. This is a quick and easy side dish that is wonderfully flavored. Quick is good, right? The sprouts, ham, apples, and balsamic vinegar naturally pair well together. The added maple syrup adds to the brussels sprouts caramelized sweetness. This is the perfect fall side dish. Give it a try this Thanksgiving. Your guests will be surprised at how good these little gems taste when prepared this way.
- 1 lb. Jersey Fresh Brussels Sprouts halved
- 1/4 pound thick sliced ham diced
- 1 Jersey Fresh Apple diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash brussels sprouts and cut in half. Add to mixing bowl.
- Dice ham and apples into bite sized cubes. Add to mixing bowl with brussels sprouts.
- In a small mixing bowl, add oil, vinegar and maple syrup. Whisk until incorporated.
- Add the dressing to the brussels sprouts and mix.
- Pour on a sheet pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees.