Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies are perfect for kids and adults alike because they are basically a less messy cupcake. Plus, they are delicious and filled with festive frosting that will make your February extra fun!
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Holiday memories almost always include sweets and treats, am I right? If you don’t have a traditional Valentine’s Day treat to bake, this is definitely a special one to enjoy once a year! Read on to learn how to make this easy whoopie pie recipe.
Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies
Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies are soft, cake sandwiches with a delectable vanilla icing as the filling. To make them themed for the holiday, you’ll need some heart-shaped sprinkles that will go right into the cake batter and cover the sides of the filling.
This delicious recipe makes two dozen pies, so you will have plenty to share with friends, family, neighbors, or even classmates! This is a great recipe to make with your kids, no matter their age.
Older kids can do most of the work, younger kids can help dump ingredients, stir, match cakes, and add sprinkles. It’s nearly impossible to make them not look adorable and fun, so get ready to make some Valentine Whoopie Pies!
What do I Need to make Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies?
You probably have most, if not all of the ingredients you need on-hand! Especially if you bake a lot. Here are a few of the ingredients you may not have –
- Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter – in the United States, this is your standard, unsalted butter.
- Sour Cream – for maintaining the thickness of the batter and helping the cake to rise.
- Cake Flour – will make your cakes tender and light, perfect for whoopie pies.
- Valentine’s Day Heart Sprinkles – don’t forget the decoration!
Keep reading to find out what else you need!
Tips and Tricks for Making Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies
- Don’t have a whoopie pie pan? Never fear! You can make whoopie pies on a flat baking sheet or cookie sheet. Your cakes may not turn out quite as uniform, but they will still taste delicious. Just make sure your batter is thick enough to not run off the sides of your baking sheet and give each pie plenty of space to spread. Use parchment paper so the cakes won’t stick to your pan.
- Grease your pan! If you are using a whoopie pie pan, be sure to grease and flour the pan so the cakes pop right out. Nothing ruins a baking day like your hard work sticking to the pan!
- Running low on time? Try making your Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies with a boxed cake mix and store-bought icing. It probably won’t be nearly as tasty as this from-scratch recipe, but it can work in a pinch!
Whoopie Pie Baking Essentials
Storage Tips for Making Whoopie Pies
You can keep your Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies at room temperature for up to 5 days if wrapped individually in plastic wrap and placed in an airtight container. They will last a few more days if you pop the container in the fridge.
To freeze them, layer them with wax paper in between in an airtight container. Thaw them in the refrigerator for a few hours before you need them.
Valentine’s Day Recipes & Crafts
Save this easy Whoopie Pie Recipe. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
Valentine’s Day Whoopie Pies are perfect for kids and adults alike because they are basically a less messy cupcake. Plus, they are delicious and filled with festive frosting that will make your February extra fun! Read more to learn how to make this easy Whoopie Pie recipe.
- ½ cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 ¼ cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup Valentine’s Day heart sprinkles
- Non-Stick Baking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a whoopie pie pan with baking spray.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, egg and sour cream until combined and smooth.
- Using a medium mixing bowl, whisk the cake flour, baking powder and salt
- Alternate between the dry ingredients and the milk and gradually mix into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the whoopie pie pan. Sprinkle some of the valentine's day sprinkles on top.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Allow to cool completely.
How to Make the Vanilla Frosting
½ cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3-5 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1 small disposable piping bag with a star tip
1 cup mini heart confetti sprinkles
Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and heavy whipping cream until combined, smooth and holds a peak
Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag with the star tip and set aside
Pair the whoopie pies to their size mates
Pipe a dollop of the frosting onto the bottom layer of the whoopie pies
Sprinkle the heart sprinkles onto the sides of the frosting
Place the top of the whoopie pie on top and press down to create a sandwich