Looking for a simple easy weeknight dinner that the entire family can enjoy? You’ll want to grab a bag of Fritos and try this easy and delicious Walking Taco Casserole!
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
How To Make Walking Taco Bake
If you’re a taco fanatic looking for something easy and tasty to prepare for the family, give this Walking Taco Casserole recipe a try. It’s the kind of meal that everyone can look forward to. It is prepared with ground beef, taco seasoning mix, Fritos corn chips, and a few extra ingredients.
Enjoy the incredible taste and the amazing texture of this crunchy, cheesy, and super satisfying meal. This easy dinner recipe is a fun twist on taco night or Cinco de Mayo. It will become a family favorite. It feeds a crowd and is a great party recipe too.
Not sure you have the ingredients needed to prepare this tasty meal? All you’ll need is a few simple items, such as:
- Lean Ground Beef – Use any version of ground beef, whether you like it super lean or not!
- Onion – Dice that onion down into small pieces to add a distinct taste to this meal.
- Taco Seasoning Mix – Grab a packet of taco seasoning mix to add flavor to your beef. You can also use your own homemade taco seasoning.
- Pinto Beans – Drain and rinse the beans before adding them to this meal. If you are not a fan of pinto beans, try kidney beans instead.
- Fritos Corn Chips – The addition of these chips provides the perfect crunch with every bite, much like you’d expect from biting into a taco shell. Not a fan of Fritos? No problem, you can substitute your favorite tortilla chips instead.
- Shredded Cheese – Don’t forget the cheese, which melts perfectly over the rest of the ingredients.
You can also add other ingredients to this dish, such as enchilada sauce, sour cream, lettuce, diced tomato, diced onions, black olives and guacamole. What are some of your favorite toppings?
Walking Taco Variations
Love this meal but want to make it your own? Not a problem. Check out some of these fun variations you can try:
- Use ground turkey as an alternative to ground beef taco meat. It’s even leaner and will still taste delicious when prepared with these ingredients.
- If you’re a cheese lover, use a blend of both shredded cheese and Cheez Whiz or Salsa Con Queso, both of which would go great with the meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and more.
- If you’re not a big fan of Fritos, replace them with a different chip, such as Doritos. You can use your favorite type, such as Spicy, Cool Ranch, or even Nacho Cheese!
What type of dish will I need to make this taco casserole?
Use a 9×13 baking dish to prepare this tasty casserole. It’s spacious enough to hold all the ingredients, including beef, onions, cheese, Fritos, and more.
What kind of shredded cheese should I add to the casserole?
You can use a blend of your favorite types of cheeses. For example, you may want to use sharp cheddar cheese or mild cheddar cheese. You can also use a Mexican blend cheese to go with the taco theme!
Do any other types of beans go well with this recipe?
Yes! If you don’t want to use pinto beans, you can use black beans or even refried beans, depending on what you like best.
Can I add cream cheese to this casserole?
Absolutely! If you want to make this casserole creamier and cheesier, cream cheese would go great with the ingredients and definitely can enhance the flavor even more.
How Do I Store Walking Taco Casserole
You can simply cover your casserole dish with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. Another great way to store leftovers is in an airtight container.
Make this easy weeknight meal the entire family can enjoy. This recipe for Walking Taco Casserole is fun, flavorful, and super simple! Add this to your list of Mexican favorites.
Kitchen Essentials Needed To Make This Easy Casserole
More Delicious Dinner Ideas
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Applebee’s Copycat Wonton Tacos
- Grilled Pork Tacos
- Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches
- Creamy Tortellini Alfredo
Looking for a simple easy weeknight dinner that the entire family can enjoy? You'll want to grab a bag of Fritos and try this easy and delicious Walking Taco Casserole!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 can (15 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drain and rinse
- 1 bag (9.25 ounce) Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Optional Garnish: lettuce, tomato, sour cream, guacamole
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish by spraying it with oil or a non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet, add the ground beef and onions. Cook over medium heat stirring often until meat is brown and onions have softened.
- Once meat and onions are fully browned, drain off excess fat. Add in water and taco seasoning, stir and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the enchilada sauce and beans to the skillet and stir to fully combine.
- Sprinkle about 4 cups of Fritos onto the bottom of your baking dish, then top the Fritos with 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Spread the meat mixture on top of that for the next layer then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You’re your casserole is out of the oven, top with the remaining Fritos.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with optional topping such as lettuce, tomato, green onions, sour cream, or guacamole.