This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweetNewYear #CollectiveBias
The New Year is a perfect time to wipe the slate clean and turn towards a healthier lifestyle. That is my focus this year. I am not much on New Year’s resolutions so like to call them goals instead. Struggling to maintain a healthy lifestyle is always a problem for me. I am at the point in my life where I really need to start eating healthier and learn to make better food choices. More salads, like this Winter Salad With Candied Pecans, Pears And Warm Bacon Vinaigrette, smaller portion sizes and more walking are all part of my New Year, New You plan.
I use Truvía® Spoonable daily and it is a great way to cut back on the sugar. Using Truvía Spoonable in baking, cooking or to sweeten drinks can also help satisfy those sugar cravings that we all get, without the unnecessary calories. Truvía Spoonable is the perfect way to add sweetness to your life. It is a zero-calorie, stevia-based sweetener. Did you know one teaspoon of Truvia Spoonable provides the same sweetness as two teaspoons of sugar? It is the natural sweetener choice for people looking to reduce calories, including people with diabetes and those looking to reduce sugar in their diets. If you have not yet tried Truvía Spoonable, you can click here to request a free sample.
Since I am focusing on eating healthier, I have been trying to incorporate more salads into my daily meal plan. This healthy and delicious Winter Salad With Candied Pecans, Pears And Warm Bacon Vinaigrette uses Truvia Spoonable in both the dressing and in the candied pecans. I used kale and spinach, two super foods as the base of this salad, along with some red cabbage to add extra crunch. This salad is filling, healthy and has just a hint of sweetness from the pears, pecans and dressing to satisfy my sugar craving.
This salad is very easy to prepare. There are just a few things you will need to make ahead of time so that you can fully enjoy it….the candied pecans and the warm bacon vinaigrette.
To prepare the Warm Bacon Vinaigrette, I cooked 6 slices of bacon in a skillet until it was crispy. I chopped up the bacon and added it to a medium saucepan along with one tablespoon of Truvía Spoonable, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, diced shallots and some salt and pepper. Heat the vinaigrette over medium heat until it starts to slowly simmer. I like to serve this warm but you can also allow it cool to room temperature if you wish.
To make the candied pecans, spread three cups of whole pecans on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with melted butter. Mix 1/3 cup Truvia, cinnamon in with the egg whites and pour over the buttered pecans. Toss well and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
To assemble the salad, simply add a few handfuls of kale and spinach to a bowl or plate. Top with some red cabbage, sliced pears, onions, blue cheese and a handful of the candied pecans. Drizzle the Warm Bacon Vinaigrette over top. The blue cheese adds a little punch, while the pears and pecans offsets the cheese with some sweetness.
Here are some healthy tips I have been incorporating into my daily routine,
that you can try too.
- Drink lots of water – especially when you first wake up. It helps to flush out your system.
- Walk as much as possible (park the furthest from a store entrance, walk stairs instead of ride elevator, etc).
- Stretch each morning. Even if you are not active, touching your toes will help those muscles breathe.
- Choose healthy snacks like fruits and veggies, granola bars.
- Keep a food diary so you can see everything you are putting into your mouth.
Note: I am not a physician, please consult your doctor before starting any weight loss or fitness program.
- 1 handful of chopped kale
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced red cabbage
- 1 pear sliced
- 1/4 cup candied pecans
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced
- 14 cup blue cheese
- Candied Pecans Ingredients
- 3 cups of whole pecans
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Truvía Spoonable
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Warm Bacon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 6 slices cooked bacon chopped
- 2 tablespoons Truvía Spoonable
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>2 tablespoons dijon mustard</span>
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- To make Candied Pecans:
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>Preheat oven to 350 degrees.</span>
- Spread pecans on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with melted butter.
- <span></span>Mix egg whites, <g class="gr_ gr_115 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="115" data-gr-id="115">Truvia and cinnamon together.
- Pour over pecans and mix until coated.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- To make Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
- Add ingredients to a medium saucepan and whisk to incorporate.
- Bring vinaigrette to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Serve warm or at warm temperature.
- To assemble salad:
- Add greens to a dish and top with onions, pears, cheese, and pecans.
- Drizzle with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette.
You can purchase Truvía Spoonable at Walmart. It is located in the aisle with the sugar and sugar substitutes. I was also able to grab all the other healthy ingredients for this recipe there too. You can also find more great Truvía Spoonable recipes here.
Have you set any health-related goals for the New year? I would love to hear how you resolve towards a healthier lifestyle.