This Jewish Apple Cake is moist and full of sweet apples and cinnamon. Be sure to grab a slice before it’s all gone.
It’s apple season here at Russo’s! Along with pumpkins and gourds, apples are synonymous with fall. It’s a wonderful time of year. We grow 20 acres of apples here on our farm and 14 different varieties including popular favorites such as Gala, Stayman Winesap, Red Delicious Fuji (my favorite). Lucky for me, our house sits right in the middle of one of our apple orchards. So, I am lucky enough to be able to walk out the front door and swipe an apple or two. Did you know that an apple tree takes three years from the time it is planted to produce an apple?
Apples and baking go hand in hand. I always find myself baking more during the fall and winter months. I find it very comforting. Here is my recipe for a classic Jewish Apple Cake. It’s packed with Russo’s fresh picked apples and easy to make. I like to make it for a weeknight dessert or to bring to a party or get together. Here is how it’s made.
You’ll need an angel food pan for this cake. Grease and flour it thoroughly.
Next, you’ll need to peel six Jersey Fresh apples. I like to mix my apple varieties when I bake. I think it adds more depth of flavor. For this cake, I used Cortland and Gala apples.
Baking Tip: Check your local farmers’ market for utility apples or seconds. They have bumps and bruises
on them but are perfect for baking. And….they are a lot cheaper too.
Slice these babies up and combine with 1/2 cup of the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Who wants to lick the beater?
Pour half of the batter in the pan. Layer half of the apple mixture and sprinkle half of the remaining cinnamon sugar over top. Repeat once more.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about one hour and ten minutes. Let cool completely in the pan and when it’s finished…you won’t be disappointed.
The sweet Jersey Fresh apples, combined with the moist cake are the perfect combination. Serve as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s Jersey Fresh at its best. I hope you enjoy.
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice 6 large apples, set aside.
- In small bowl, combine ¾ of sugar and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Add ½ cup of the sugar and cinnamon mixture to the sliced apples. Stir to coat and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, sift flour, 2 cups of sugar, salt, and baking powder together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the orange juice, oil, eggs and vanilla, Beat until incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter in a greased tube pan. Spread half of the apple mixture over the batter and sprinkle with half of the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Add the remaining mixture to the pan and top with the rest of the apples. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.