Want a delicious no bake candy for the holidays? These Buckeyes are so tasty and easy to make, you just need a few ingredients. This Best Buckeye Recipe is a sure way to please a crowd. They are the perfect holiday treat.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
How To Make Buckeyes
Have you ever enjoyed the taste of homemade Buckeyes? If not, now is the perfect opportunity to get busy in the kitchen, preparing these no bake chocolate and peanut butter delicacies with simple ingredients you might already have at home.
From the creamy taste of the peanut butter to the sweet touch added by the powdered sugar, these Buckeyes are impressively delicious and are great to prepare and hand out as gifts during the holiday season. When you want an easy, delicious, and stress-free dessert, this recipe is a must-try.
Buckeyes are peanut butter balls dipped in melted chocolate that hail from the state of Ohio (also known as the Buckeye State). They are a homemade version of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Peanut Butter Buckeyes Recipe
- They have a smooth, rich taste that is perfect for anyone who enjoys the flavor of chocolate combined with salty, sweet peanut butter.
- You only need a handful of ingredients to make them. Chances are you have these pantry staples already on hand.
- It’s not hard to prepare these Buckeye Balls. If you want to make a delicious treat that requires minimal effort, this recipe is an absolute must.
- You can easily prepare as many of these sweet treats as you’d like, serving them at holiday parties and wrapping them up to give as gifts for the holidays.
- Each Buckeye Ball has a creamy peanut butter center.
Easy Buckeye Recipe Ingredients
Before you prepare these chocolatey treats, be sure to have the following ingredients at home:
- Creamy Peanut Butter – The peanut butter is the star of the show in this recipe, adding a sweet and salty taste to every bite.
- Unsalted Butter – Allow your butter to sit out and reach room temperature before you begin using it.
- Powdered Sugar (Confectioners’ Sugar) – Sift through your sugar beforehand.
- Chocolate Melting Wafers – Melt your chocolate melting wafers in a double boiler or the microwave, whichever you prefer.
- Holiday Sprinkles – Although optional, the sprinkles add a special touch to these deliciously decadent treats.
It’s truly that simple. With just five ingredients, you can prepare these tasty Buckeyes that will quickly become a huge hit in your household.
Buckeye Kitchen Essentials
What brand of peanut butter should I use for these Buckeye Balls?
Any brand of peanut butter will work well, just make sure it’s creamy. Use the kind of peanut butter you enjoy most, such as Jif, Skippy, or even Peter Pan. You can also use the extra creamy kind as long as you’re not using chunky peanut butter.
Which chocolate melting wafers do I need to use in this recipe?
Even when it comes to the chocolate melting wafers, you can choose the brand you like best, such as Ghirardelli or Wilton. My personal favorite is Ghirardelli because it melts perfectly and has an incredible taste to it that truly enhances the flavor of any sweet treat.
You can also use chocolate chips. As far as the type of chocolate, milk chocolate is most common, but you can certainly use dark chocolate if you wish.
Do I need to thin out the melting wafers beforehand?
Yes. If you’re not using Ghirardelli, you will want to add some coconut oil or paramount crystals to your wafers to ensure they have the perfectly smooth consistency. You should be able to find these ingredients in your local grocery store.
How To Store Buckeyes
Store buckeyes airtight container until you are ready to enjoy them They can be frozen, stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature if you will be eating them within two-three days.
Prepare a chocolate peanut butter treat with this recipe for Buckeye Balls. They’re great for all occasions and are perfect to make at any time of the year, especially during the holidays.
If you are an Ohio State University fan, be sure to make a batch of these delicious buckeyes for game day.
Christmas Cookies You Should Make This Year
Want a delicious no bake candy for the holidays? These Buckeyes are so tasty and easy to make, you just need a few ingredients. This Best Buckeye Recipe is a sure way to please a crowd. Buckeyes are chocolate covered peanut butter balls that hail from the state of Ohio (hence the name Buckeye).
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces chocolate melting wafers
- 1/2 cup holiday sprinkles, optional
- Add peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix until ingredients are incorporated, if still crumbly work it together with your hands.
- Knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Use a small cookie scoop to evenly portion out the Dell onto a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Refrigerate the peanut butter balls for 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate according to package instructions.
- Dip the balls into the chocolate using a toothpick or skewer and return to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Keep a fork handy in case the ball falls off of the stick.
- Use your fingers to smooth the top over where the toothpicks went through the top.
- Sprinkles if you would like placed back into the fridge to fully set for another 15-20 minutes
Parchment lined baking sheet
Measuring cups and spoons
Small microwave-safe bowl