Potato salad is always a staple at any summer gathering I host. This Italian Potato Salad is mixed with vinegar and oil for a lighter taste.
Summer is almost here and that means picnic and BBQ season is kicking into high gear. I love hosting parties, especially in the summer. Even though summer is an exceptionally busy time of year on our farm, I think it’s important to always make time for family and friends. Food always seems to be the centerpiece of everything we do around here. Maybe it’s because of our deep connection with fruits and vegetables because we’re farmers or maybe it’s just because I just love to cook? I think it’s a little bit of both. Food is always so welcoming. Growing up, my mom always made sure there was plenty of extras “just in case” someone stopped in for a visit. I find myself now following her same philosophy.
Potato salad is always a staple at any summer gathering I host. I love potatoes any time of the day or year! Yum! Traditional, Italian and German styles are three types that I make often. It is also great for a crowd too because a little can go a long way.
My husband is not a huge fan of mayonnaise and this is his favorite salad I make. It is mixed with vinegar and oil instead, making it a bit healthier too. And…it also has bacon in it. Hello! Another one of my favorite ingredients. You can’t go wrong with bacon. This salad is versatile because can be made a day in advance or served to your guests warm. I tastes great both ways, but I’m all about prepping as much in advance as possible so I can spend more time with enjoying everyone’s company and less time in the kitchen the day of the party.
Do you host a lot of parties for family and friends? What is your favorite salad to make? Try this tasty alternative. I hope it will be a hit at your next gathering.
- 6-8 Red Potatoes cubed
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Clean and cube red potatoes. Place in pot of cold water and bring to boil. Boil 5-8 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- To make dressing, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- While potatoes are cooking, dice celery, red pepper, green pepper, onion, basil and bacon.
- In large mixing bowl, combine potatoes with celery, red pepper, green pepper, onion, basil and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing and gently mix.
- Serve warm or refrigerate overnight.