This flavorful Italian Potato salad is always a staple at any summer gathering I host. It’s perfect for summer parties, potlucks or just as a simple side dish…..and it has bacon in it! Enough said!
Summer is almost here and that means picnic and BBQ season is kicking into high gear. I love hosting parties, especially in the summer. This easy Italian potato salad recipe is perfect for a summer celebration or to bring to a potluck.
Even though summer is an exceptionally busy time of year on our farm, I think it’s important to always make time for family and friends.
Food always is the centerpiece of everything we do around here. Maybe it’s because of our deep connection with fruits and vegetables because we’re farmers or maybe it’s just because I just love to cook?
I think it’s a little bit of both. Food is so welcoming. Growing up, my mom always made sure there was plenty of extras “just in case” someone stopped in for a visit. I find myself now following her same philosophy.
I have a love affair with potatoes. Even though I limit my potato enjoyment of them, I could seriously eat potatoes in any way, shape or form… EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. OF. THE. WEEK! Are you a potato lover too? Potato salad is always a staple at any summer gathering I host. While potato salad is synonymous with parties and summer gatherings, I like to make potato salad year round.
How to make Italian Potato Salad.
My husband is not a huge fan of mayonnaise so a traditional potato salad is not always his first choice. So I often make this Italian potato salad. Similar to a German potato salad, this Italian style potato salad is mixed with vinegar and oil instead.
And…it also has bacon in it. Hello! Another one of my favorite ingredients. You can’t go wrong with bacon. The addition of plenty of basil gives this recipe an Italian flair.
This salad is so vibrant. I love how the red peppers and green peppers give it some pop.
This salad is versatile because can be made a day in advance or served to your guests warm. It tastes great both ways, but I’m all about prepping as much in advance as possible so I can spend more time with enjoying everyone’s company and less time in the kitchen the day of the party.
Do you host a lot of parties for family and friends? What is your favorite salad to make? Try this tasty alternative. I hope this Italian Potato Salad will be a hit at your next gathering.
Try these summer salad recipes:
Save this easy potato salad recipe. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
Summer is almost here and that means picnic and BBQ season is kicking into high gear. This tasty Italian potato salad is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 6-8 Red Potatoes, cubed
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Clean and cube red potatoes. Place in pot of cold water and bring to boil. Boil 5-8 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- To make dressing, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- While potatoes are cooking, dice celery, red pepper, green pepper, onion, basil and bacon.
- In large mixing bowl, combine potatoes with celery, red pepper, green pepper, onion, basil and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing and gently mix.
- Serve warm or refrigerate overnight.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 806mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 14g