These Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas are crispy, cheesy and full of buffalo chicken flavor. Feed a crowd this Cinco de Mayo with these delicious Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas.
This post is written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. All opinions are mine alone. This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and I am here today to share an easy recipe for one of my favorite foodie holidays. Any holiday that involves Margaritas and Mexican food get a high five from me! These Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas are the perfect way to celebrate this festive Mexican holiday. They are a fun twist on the classic Mexican dish.
What Are Flautas?
If you are unfamiliar with a flauta, it is basically a taquito, but made with flour tortillas instead of corn. Flautas are a creative meal solution for any day of the week because they can be filled with many different ingredients.
Flautas are Mexican Street food at its finest. They are so versatile too. You can enjoy flautas as a meal or a snack and even on the go. Flautas are also great to make for parties and potlucks.
Every good flauta recipe should start with authentic tortillas. TortillaLand® Uncooked Flour Tortillas are the perfect choice. TortillaLand® tortillas have no preservatives.
They can be found in the refrigerated section of your local Costco. Here is where the twist I spoke about before comes in. My family has a love for anything buffalo chicken. Instead of using the traditional Mexican flavors for the filling,
I created a buffalo chicken filling instead. Talk about a real winning recipe for this family! They loved this updated version.
What Kind Of Chicken Should I Use?
You have three easy options for the chicken filling.
- Chicken Breast or Thighs: Shredded Cooked Chicken Breast or thighs make an excellent filling for flautas. You can cook the chicken on the stove in chicken broth to make your own shredded chicken.
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is by far the EASIEST method. Pick up a cooked chicken at the local grocery store and shred it up. This is a real timesaver, especially on a busy weekday.
- Whole Chicken: You can roast your own whole chicken to use as well. Once cool, shred up the chicken for the flauta filling.
- Shredded Chicken (you will need about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Tortilla shells
- Cream Cheese
- Light Ranch Dressing
- Hot Sauce
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Melted butter
- Sour Cream (for garnish)
How To Make Flautas: Buffalo Chicken Flautas
Since the TortillaLand tortillas are uncooked, you will need to cook each tortilla over medium heat for about 30 seconds on each side. When the tortillas bubble and turn slightly brown, they are done. Easy peasy!
The filling for the Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas is very simple to make too. I combined the shredded chicken, the cheeses, hot sauce and ranch dressing in a pan and cook until everything is incorporated.
How To Cook Flautas
Bake In Oven
Normally, flautas are deep-fried in a shallow pan with oil I baked these instead and they taste just as good. Fill each of the cooked tortillas with a heaping spoonful of the filling. Roll tightly and line them up in a rectangular baking dish.
I brushed each flauta with melted butter so they will get nice a crispy when baked. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes
Air Fry Method
If you have an air fryer, you can definitely use this method too. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Work in batches and place flautas seam side down in the fryer. Brush with olive oil and air fry for 6 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Here is another winning bonus of this Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas recipe – it’s the perfect freezer meal. You can prepare ahead of time and reheat when ready to eat. That sounds like the perfect “busy family” meal to me!
How To Store Flautas
Flautas are so simple to store. Before refrigerating or freezing, remember to let them cool completely. Flautas will keep in the refrigerator for five days if stored in an airtight food storage container.
You can freeze flautas for up to five months. Be sure to wrap well and use a freezer-safe food container.
….and these are perfect to serve at a party or potluck too. You can easily cut then in half or thirds and serve them as appetizers. It’s a win-win all around.
Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo? What are some recipes you like to make for this festive Mexican holiday? Hopefully, you will give this Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas recipe a shot.
Round out your Cinco de Mayo celebration with these easy Mexican recipes!
These Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas as crispy, cheesy and full of buffalo chicken flavor. Feed a crowd this Cinco de Mayo with these delicious Baked Buffalo Chicken Flautas.
- 12 uncooked TortillaLand® tortillas
- 3 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 2 8- ounce bricks of light cream cheese
- 1 Cup Light Ranch Dressing
- ⅔ Cup Hot Sauce
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup scallions diced
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Individually cook each TortillaLand tortilla for 30 seconds on each side.
- Remove and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add chicken, cheese, hot sauce, scallions and ranch dressing. Cook over medium heat until cream cheese is melted and ingredients are well incorporated.
- Remove from heat.
- To fill each flauta, lay one cooked tortilla on a flat surface. Add one heaping tablespoon of the filling. Tightly roll the flauta. Place in a greased oblong baking dish.
- Brush melted butter over the top of each flauta.
- Bake 15 – 20 until golden brown and crispy.