Prepare a classic treat with a chocolate twist using this Oreo Sticky Buns recipe. These sticky buns are perfect for a quick breakfast or a sweet and delicious dessert. And they have Oreos in the recipe so what’s not to love about them?
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Oreo Sticky Buns
Sticky buns are such a classic treat that people like to eat for breakfast or dessert. If you’re a fan of Oreo cookies, you’re going to love these Oreo Sticky Buns. They have a sweet flavor with a chocolate twist, making them an incredible dessert to serve after dinner or whenever you’re in the mood for something wholesome and satisfyingly delicious.
I love cinnamon buns so I jazzed a simple sweet roll recipe up and turned them into these chocolaty gems. These Oreo sweet rolls are filled with a LOT of Oreos too. You can find them in both the dough and the filling!
Ingredients Needed to Make the Oreo Sticky Buns
Before you can make the Oreo Sticky Buns, you’re going to need a few important ingredients, including:
- All-Purpose Flour. Scoop and level the flour before you use it. You’ll combine the flour with other ingredients to create the dough for your buns.
- Instant Yeast. Use a packet of instant yeast that will get your buns to rise to perfection.
- Granulated Sugar. Enhance the flavor of your buns with a bit of granulated sugar for a touch of sweetness.
- Crushed Oreo Cookies. Crush the cookies and add them to your batter with flour, yeast, and other ingredients.
You’ll also need whole milk, egg, and unsalted butter to complete the dough. When preparing the filling, you’re going to need two packages of cream cheese, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and more crushed Oreos.
You’re also going to need more butter combined with powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract to create the sweet glaze to spread over your Oreo Sticky Buns.
How long will it take to make these Oreo Sticky Buns?
You can expect to spend roughly 10 minutes preparing your dough and ingredients. However, you’ll need to let the dough rest for 40 minutes and then you’ll need to let the dough bake for roughly 30 minutes.
When do I add the glaze to the Oreo Sticky Buns?
After you remove the buns from the oven, allow them to cool for roughly 10-15 minutes before you drizzle the glaze on top. You may also add some extra Oreo cookies to the top of the buns if you’d like.
Can I serve the buns while they’re warm?
Yes. In fact, it’s a good idea to serve your Oreo Sticky Buns while they’re still warm. They’re going to taste fresh and delicious! However, you can serve them warm, cooled down, or even cold after storing them in the fridge.
How do I store the Oreo Cinnamon Rolls?
If you want to save the Oreo Sticky Buns, place them in an airtight container with a lid and then place them in the fridge. If you like to eat them while they’re warm, be sure to put the buns in the microwave for a few seconds to get them warm again. It won’t take long for them to taste like they came right out of the oven all over again.
Do I have to use the glaze?
While you don’t need to add the glaze to the Oreo Sticky Buns, it’s an excellent addition to these baked buns. It goes perfectly with the cookies and the soft texture of the dough.
More Fun Oreo Recipes
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Kitchen Essentials Needed To Make Oreo Sticky Buns
These kitchen tools are helpful to have when making this recipe.
Save this easy sticky bun recipe for later. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
Prepare a classic treat with a chocolate twist using this Oreo Sticky Buns recipe. These Oreo Cinnamon Buns buns are perfect for a quick breakfast or a sweet and delicious dessert.
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour, scooped and leveled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup crushed Oreos
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 8oz packages of cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup crushed Oreos
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the egg in a bowl of warm water to bring to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add flour, packet of yeast and salt.
- In a large measuring cup warm milk and butter for 45 seconds in the microwave. The temperature should be about 100 degrees.
- Add granulated sugar and stir. Return to microwave for 30 sec.
The mixture should be warm to the touch but not hot.
- Using the dough hook attachment, gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture on medium speed until it comes together.
- Add room-temperature egg to the dough.
- Mix on low speed until a sticky ball of dough forms.
- Once the ball forms move up to a medium speed and knead for 3 mins until the dough becomes more elastic.
- Begin adding in the last 1/2 to 1 cup of flour 1 tbsp at a time until the dough is no longer sticking to the side of the bowl* (If it’s a lot of moisture in the air you may need a full cup of flour, start with 1/2 cup first)
- After the flour is added, add in the 1/2 cup crushed Oreos and mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- If the dough has not formed into a ball add some flour to your hands and take the dough out of the mixer and gently knead into a ball. It should not be super sticky. If it is you did not add enough flour
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a warm, damp towel and let the dough rest for 10 mins.
- For the filling, all all the filling ingredients to a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth.
- Generously flour your work surface. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle approximately 12x18 inch and 1/2 CM thickness. (Using a Joseph rolling pin will help ensure the thickness is the same)
- Spread the filling over the dough, completely covering the dough.
- Roll the dough as tight as you can length-wise.
- Cut into 9 equal sections and place into 8*8 pan
- Rest covered for 30 mins near the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until rolls are golden brown.
- Make glaze:
- Place butter in a medium mixing bowl with powdered sugar.
- Add in 2 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream and mix until smooth.
- Let the rolls cool 10-15 minutes then drizzle glaze over rolls.
- Garnish with extra Oreos and serve warm.
- If making ahead and freezing double the amount of yeast in the dough because it will kill some of it once frozen.
- Freeze after the rolls have been cut and proofed in a heated pan.
- Store in an airtight container with a lid or plastic and freeze for up to a week. Remove from freezer two hours before baking and then bake them as instructed