It’s finally blueberry season here in New Jersey. Hooray! These tasty little gems contain powerful antioxidants that have a lot of health benefits. They are low in fat and full of fiber. In fact, one handful will satisfy the recommended daily fiber intake.
Aside from their healthy aspects, blueberries are also great to bake with. I always make sure I freeze a flat at the end of our season here in New Jersey so I have plenty to last through the winter months for muffins, pancakes, smoothies and so on.
In a pinch for a quick, healthier, crowd-pleasing dessert for the 4th of July holiday? This Red, White and Blueberry Trifle will do the trick. It’s a patriotic pleaser that is great for a 4th of July picnic or any get-together. I love making it because it’s a no bake dessert the can be assembled quickly. I also use all low fat ingredients – like angel food cake instead of pound canke, so you can have all the yummy indulgence with fewer calories.
- 1 Store bought angel food cake
- 1 5.1 oz. package of vanilla instant pudding - prepared to package instructions - I use 1% milk to prepare
- 2 8 oz. containers of Lite Cool Whip
- 2 Quarts of strawberries (preferrably Jersey Fresh)
- 2 Pints Jersey Fresh Blueberries
- In medium bowl, prepare vanilla pudding according to package directions. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut angel food cake into bite size pieces.
- Clean, hull and slice strawberries. Reserve 1½ cups for the top.
- Wash blueberries. Reserve ¾ cup for top of trifle. Gently crush the remaining blueberries to bring out juices.
- In trifle bowl, start by spreading a layer of angel food cake on the bottom of bowl.
- Spread ½ of pudding mixture over angel food cake.
- Top with ⅓ of Lite Cool Whip. Followed by ½ of the remaining strawberries and ½ of the remaining blueberries.
- Repeat layering.
- For the top / final layer, spread remaining cool whip. Then decorate with the strawberries and blueberries that were set aside.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Do you have plans for the July 4th holiday? Hopefully this patriotic dessert will make an appearance at your next party.