Bacon Cheddar Smashed Potatoes
Discover how to easily prepare the perfect side dish with this recipe for Bacon Cheddar Smashed Potatoes. They’re cheesy, crispy, and have the best texture that will keep you coming back for more.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
What Are Smashed Potatoes?
If you’ve never had smashed potatoes before, you’re probably wondering what they are and why they’re the perfect side dish or appetizer. Imagine a cross between a twice-baked potato and potato skins, and you’ll have smashed potatoes.
These Bacon Cheddar Smashed Potatoes consist of yellow baby potatoes cleaned, seasoned, and smashed down with the addition of cheese and bacon added on top for flavor. If you’re a fan of potato skins or loaded baked potatoes, you’ll love this easy, stress-free recipe.
The great thing about this Bacon Cheddar Smashed Potatoes recipe, other than its excellent taste, is how customizable these smashed potatoes are.
You can swap out different ingredients, use various seasonings, and prepare them how you like them to make them that much more enjoyable. These are some must-have ingredients you should pull out before you start working on this recipe:
- Baby Yellow Potatoes – You can also use red baby potatoes or any other type of small potatoes that you like for this recipe.
- Olive Oil – Using this oil will help crisp up the skin of these smashed potatoes, leaving them with an excellent crispy texture that you’ll love.
- Butter – Melt your butter and add it to your potatoes to enhance the flavor you’ll get with every bite.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shred your cheddar cheese and add it on top for the perfect touch.
- Bacon – Use your bacon to give your smashed potatoes a saltier, smoky taste with added crunch!
You can also add chives. If you don’t have them, don’t worry about using them in this recipe because they’re not an absolute necessity.
What kind of bacon should I add to these potatoes?
Customize your potatoes to your liking using your favorite brand and flavor of bacon. You can use any type of bacon, such as pork or turkey bacon in any flavor, such as applewood smoked, maple and brown sugar, and more. The options are endless.
Do I have to use cheddar cheese for these potatoes?
No! If you’re not the biggest fan of mild cheddar cheese or simply don’t have it at home, swap it out for a cheese that you do like, such as mozzarella, Monterey jack, sharp cheddar, Mexican blend, or anything else.
What should I serve with these potatoes?
You can serve the Bacon Cheddar Smashed Potatoes as appetizers or a side dish with other foods, such as hamburgers, baked chicken, or even grilled pork chops.
- While they taste great without anything else added to them, I enjoy dipping these smashed potatoes in ranch. It gives them even more flavor and is SO good.
- If you don’t like ranch, try dipping them in sour cream. It’s another great option that adds more flavor to these crispy, flavorful potatoes.
- If you’re a vegetarian and want a meatless option, ditch the bacon and replace it with meatless bacon strips or chives.
Kitchen Essentials To Make Smashed Potatoes
More Easy Potato Side Dish Recipes
Air Fryer Parmesan Rosemary Potatoes
The Best Loaded Baked Potato Salad
Bacon Cheddar Smashed Potatoes
Discover how to easily prepare the perfect side dish with this recipe for Bacon Cheddar Smashed Potatoes. They’re cheesy, crispy, and have the best texture that will keep you coming back for more. This is an easy potato side dish that everyone will enjoy.
- 1 ½ pounds yellow baby potatoes, washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 strips bacon, cooked until crisp then crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the whole baby potatoes and boil until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes; drain well and dry the outside of the potatoes.
3. Brush a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then place the cooked baby potatoes on the oiled pan. Smash the potatoes down with a fork, being careful to keep them in one piece (don’t over-smash).
4. Brush the top of the smashed potatoes with the remaining tablespoon olive oil.
5. Bake the potatoes at 450F for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the potatoes from the oven and brush them with melted butter. Top each potato with salt and pepper to taste, shredded cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon.
7. Return the potatoes to the oven and bake for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are golden brown and crispy around the edges.
8. Sprinkle fresh chopped chives over the potatoes and serve hot.
- The flavor of these potatoes is similar to potato skins.
- The smashed potatoes are delicious with sour cream.