These Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars are the perfect spring dessert! Strawberries and rhubarb pair perfectly in this easy bar recipe. This strawberry rhubarb bar recipe has a delicious oatmeal cookie topping.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click and purchase something. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
There is nothing like a Jersey strawberry! They are sweet, juicy and so beautifully red on the inside. If you live in the area or have had a Jersey strawberry before, you know what I am talking about. If you have not had a Jersey Fresh strawberry before, my condolences. They are JUST. THAT. GOOD!
This year’s strawberry season has been delayed due to cold temperatures and rainy weather. But I am so excited it will be here very, very soon.
Check Out This Delicious RecipeI am continuing my strawberry recipe series here on The Farm Girl Gabs with these amazing Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars. I love a good bar recipe and these are so delicious.
It also happens to be rhubarb season too here in New Jersey. Strawberries and rhubarb are the perfect pair. They go together like eggs and bacon or pancakes and syrup. Rhubarb is a tart perennial vegetable. You only eat the red stalks because the leaves will make you sick. It is often used in desserts, jams or chutney.
So, what can you make with the pair, you ask? I whipped up a batch of these Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars had to share their deliciousness with you! It’s the perfect dessert bar recipe to enjoy with a nice cup of tea or coffee. Beware though, they won’t last long. They are completely portable too, meaning they travel well enough to bring to a party, making them an easy summer dessert recipe to share.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars?
Quick Oats, uncooked
How Do I Make Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars?
Begin by finely dicing the rhubarb. I cut it just like I would a stalk of celery. Clean and slice the strawberries too. Add both to a medium saucepan along with the sugar and cornstarch. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
While the strawberries rhubarb filling is cooking, make the oatmeal crust and press into a 13 x 9 baking dish. Be sure to reserve 1 1/2 cups of the oatmeal crumbs for the topping. When the strawberries rhubarb filling is finished cooking, pour over the oatmeal crust. Top with the reserved crumbs and pop in the oven.
The end result is a delicious strawberry rhubarb dessert that your family will love. These Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars did not last long in the Russo house! I added a glaze to these but you can skip that step if you choose. If you really don’t care for rhubarb, you can leave it out. The recipe will be just as good with only strawberries.
Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars Recipe Essentials
You will need these kitchen utensils to make this classic bar recipe.
Save this easy bar recipe for later. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
Have you ever cooked with rhubarb? What are some of your favorite rhubarb recipes? Please share. I would love to try something new!
Enjoy strawberry season while it lasts and check out these delicious recipes.
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (about 3 stalks)
- 2 cups Jersey Fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick oats, uncooked
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring often until tender.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a bowl and then add to strawberry rhubarb mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, baking soda and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Beat on low until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of crumb mixture for topping.
- Press remaining crumbs on the bottom of a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Spread the strawberry rhubarb mixture over top and sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Drizzle over cooled bars.
- Cut into 16 bars.