Baked sweet potato fritters are a delicious and healthy recipe. This easy fritter recipe is a perfect side dish or appetizer.
I am always looking for alternative ways to serve yams and sweet potatoes. I hate to admit this, but I really don’t care for them when they are slathered in brown sugar, maple syrup and butter. Crazy, right? I know.
Enter these cheesy Baked Sweet Potato Fritters. While testing out some alternative ideas for sweet potatoes the other day, I came up with these Baked Sweet Potato Fritters….and I LOVED them! The best part about this dish is that it’s a low-fat alternative to a traditional fritter which is usually deep-fried. My version is baked and trust me, you can’t even tell the difference. Even the Smokey Garlic dipping sauce I serve with them is lower in calories. Hello! Low-fat recipes don’t always mean sacrificing flavor.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse! They are high in fiber, rich in antioxidants, contain a ton of B6 which is great for your heart and are rich in beta-carotene. They by far outweigh the white potato when it comes to the health benefits. We harvest our sweet potatoes and yams in the fall here at our farm. Yet another reason why I love the fall here at Russo’s so much….you can’t go wrong with lots of Jersey Fresh produce!
Ingredients To Make Sweet Potato Fritters
Sweet Potatoes or Yams
Eggs or egg substitute
Here is how I make my Baked Sweet Potato Fritters?
Recipe Tips And Instructions:
Tip 1: I like serving mine with a Smokey Garlic Dip. I have included that recipe for you as well. This dip is a great dip to serve with veggies and chips too.
Tip 2: Freshly grated sweet potatoes are the star of this recipe. You can either work on your biceps as I did and grate them by hand using a box grater or save a little time and grate them in the food processor.
Once you are done grating the potatoes, add them to a medium mixing bowl. Combine potatoes, scallions, seasonings, cheese together with the beaten eggs.
Spray the top of each fritter with non-stick cooking spray. This helps them brown in the oven. Pop them in the oven and in 25 minutes, you will have delicious and nutritious BAKED sweet potato fritters. So tasty, your guests won’t even realize they are not deep-fried. Enjoy!
These tools are helpful to have at home when making these Baked Sweet Potato Fritters:
Save this Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe for later. Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board.
Here are some more delicious fall recipes to try. Be sure to share them on social media using the hashtag #thefarmgirlcreates
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse. Try this easy sweet potato recipe for a healthier side dish. Baked sweet potato fritters are a delicious and healthy recipe. This easy fritter recipe is a perfect side dish or appetizer.
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams about 1 lb.
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup eggs about 2 eggs, beaten or egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Using box grater or food processor, grate into medium bowl
- When finished grating potatoes, add beaten eggs, cheese, scallions, cayenne and salt and mix with spatula.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out sweet potato fritter mixture and place evenly on baking sheet.Spray the top of each fritter with non-stick cooking spray to help them brown in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Serve with Smokey Garlic Dipping Sauce.
This low fat smokey garlic dipping sauce is a perfect accompaniment for Baked Sweet Potato Fritters, vegetables or chips.
- 1 cup light sour cream OR non-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving so flavors can blend together.